Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/C recharging question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
A/C recharging question!

My clutch kicks in and out alot, probaly because of low pressure. Has anyone ever recharged with Freeze12 without evacuting what is in there? I bought the car a few years ago and never used the A/C because it never worked but recently it has been really hot here! and I have wanted to use it. I know it works ok, but I just don't no about just adding to what is in there. what has been your luck with this? How much would it cost for someone to remove or evacuate what is in there and start fresh?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Check again on the Freeze 12 site, and maybe someone else should chime in - but I don't see why you couldn't just add Freeze 12. I just did my system this weekend with Freeze 12, and it worked great - however my system was empty, and I vacuumed to remove moisture, and I added oil. I know it takes about 80% less Freeze 12 than R-12 - I got 2 cans into my system thus far. I'm currently driving and testing to see if I need more, or any other attention, as I don't know much about mine, I've never had it working until just Saturday.

On the vacuum, if you have air compressor, I noticed that Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices has a vacuum for $9.99! I doubt it would last a lifetime or anything, but even a one time hit is worth 9.99! It has a R-134 fitting, but would vacuum any system if you can get the fittings adapted for the R-12 evap can.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:00 PM

Car: Iroc Z /Trans Am / Corvette
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 273/308/323
Originally Posted by thinslice
My clutch kicks in and out alot, probaly because of low pressure. Has anyone ever recharged with Freeze12 without evacuting what is in there? I bought the car a few years ago and never used the A/C because it never worked but recently it has been really hot here! and I have wanted to use it. I know it works ok, but I just don't no about just adding to what is in there. what has been your luck with this? How much would it cost for someone to remove or evacuate what is in there and start fresh?
When it comes to charging your ac unit you will need to find the leak. If you charge it it may hold a for a while or just a few days all depends. Thing is if you continue to charge your system and do not fix the leak slowly but surely you will lose oil with the refrigerant. This is not a good thing because eventually your compressor will cease. Answer to your question as long as you have pressure in the system there is no need to evacuate just remember to purge the refrigerant hoses before you charge your system. And never charge from the high side only from the low side, note fittings are smaller on the high side you will not be able to connect your hoses to the high side unless you have a high side adapter. Feel free to email me if you should have anymore question Dave............
Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 AM

new to this forum, but I have a caution for you about freeze12 vs r12 and r134a.

So far, for the automotive industry, r12 and r134a are the only "single" chemical refrigerants available, as appposed to several other "blends" like freeze12 - i dont remember the gasses off hand, but its like r406a and r515b plus oil, but dont hold me to that.

The blends have their advantages, but one major drawback, anytime the system gets low because of a leak, the system MUST BE evacuated and refilled with fresh freeze12.

Why? well because it is a blend, how much of which blended ingredient did you loose? You can't tell, and then even if you could, how would you put whichever ingredient you lost back in. You can't.

Best advice I can give is stay with r12 if you can afford it. it is still out there but about $60 a pound, but it is still the best gas, unless you have the system enlarged to accomodate the requirments needed for the best case scenario for r134a, then that is the better way.

stay cool
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Originally Posted by a91rsinvegas
new to this forum, but I have a caution for you about freeze12 vs r12 and r134a.

So far, for the automotive industry, r12 and r134a are the only "single" chemical refrigerants available, as appposed to several other "blends" like freeze12 - i dont remember the gasses off hand, but its like r406a and r515b plus oil, but dont hold me to that.

The blends have their advantages, but one major drawback, anytime the system gets low because of a leak, the system MUST BE evacuated and refilled with fresh freeze12.

Why? well because it is a blend, how much of which blended ingredient did you loose? You can't tell, and then even if you could, how would you put whichever ingredient you lost back in. You can't.

Best advice I can give is stay with r12 if you can afford it. it is still out there but about $60 a pound, but it is still the best gas, unless you have the system enlarged to accomodate the requirments needed for the best case scenario for r134a, then that is the better way.

stay cool
Exactly...and each ingredient has a different molecular size, so it leaks at a different rate.