Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

My heater Core replacement thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 IROC / 1986 SC
Engine: 305 TPI / 2.8 MFI
Transmission: 700R4's
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi / 3.42 Open
My heater Core replacement thread

I replaced my heater core last night. It was not easy, but I did do it all by myself with no help, and it took 5 hours. I am going to outline the steps below for others. This was in my 1985 IROC with no air.

I drained the coolant from the radiator by removing the plug. I left the cap on so the water would trickle out and was manageable rather than just gushing out and making a mess. This went smoothly.

I removed the back TPI distributor cover. I then unhooked the heater hoses. The return hose came right off with no problem, but I did have to cut the other hose off. No big deal as there was still enough hose left to reuse.

I removed the under dash panel on the passenger side.

I then removed 4 of the 5 access screws to the heater core cover. The 5th screw was an absolute nightmare. I had to take off the dash pad. Remove the top dash mount nut and bolt under the dash and pull the dash out about 3 inches, remove the speaker, and the vent ducting to get to it. After that, it was pretty easy .

I then removed the bracket that holds the heater core. Just remove the lower one and then loosen the top one so you can turn the bracket out of the way, there is no reason to remove the top one, that is just extra work.

With one good tug out came the heater core. My new heater core tubes were pretty far off from the way the old ones were oriented. GENTLY bend your tubes until they are as close as you can get from eyeballing to the original ones. THIS WILL SAVE MAJOR FRUSTRATION! With a light you can see up into the box as you are putting the heater core in and see how far off your tubes are from going through the holes. It took me about 8 tries but then it did slip right into place.

Assembly is the opposite of teardown. A few comments. I have read where some people say they did not have to pull the dash out. No way. It only took 15 minutes to take the dash pad off, unbolt the dash and pull it out and remove the speaker and ducting. I tried to get that damn bolt for over a half hour before I finally removed the dash etc. Also, remove the ecm and set it aside. It is in the way and while this job could be done with it in place, it is a nuicance and life will be easier with it out of the way. Hopefully this helps someone out. I have no doubt I could do the job again in about 2 hours now that I know all the steps. The dealership charges about $550 and that does not include the new heater core. It is worth doing it yourself, just be patient.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
Re: My heater Core replacement thread

I was one of those that did not have to pull the dash out. Took off the pad nad the right speaker. Got to the top bolt that way.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 350 Ramjet
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 9 bolt 3:27

I haven't had to pull the dash, but I use a 12" extension with a universal and my trusty 7mm socket on my 1/4" ratchet and go behind the dash pad at the top bolt through the space between the dash plastic and the support bar. changed the core in my 89 in an hour including refilling and burping the system.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 PM

Car: 91 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: stock

wow, im glad you posted this. im about to replace mine next weekend for the first time so im looking forward to that fun experience. this should help alot to keep me on track when i get confused/frustrated and what not.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27

if you take your time and be careful it is almost fun... almost.

i had an interesting experiance in my digital dash equiped GTA with air conditioning and electronic vent controls while replacing the heater core. (way off topic story)

we pulled the dash out a ways, like described above, and BROKE the two hard vacuume lines that feeed the HVAC controls. so then my buddy and i had to pull the entire dash out, so we could pull the heater box, so we could replace the lines. unbeknown to us, we broke the switch off of the brake pedal that turns on the brake lights. we get everything back together and i drive home. my buddy follows me in his 85 z28.

on the way home we get a little rubber happy at a light and get pulled over, cop says nothing about me not having brake lights, i am still unaware... fast forward TWO WEEKS... i have been driving the car daily and no one has said a thing. car club cruise, finally one of my car club members mentions that my brake lights don't work.. as we were on the way to the track i had to rig them up to a toggle switch in the parking lot, so i could flip it on for the tech guy when he told me to press on the brakes (track requires working brake lights). the next day i got a new switch from napa and installed.

so i guess th emoral of that long winded story is don't pull the dash out too far, and if you do mind your wires.