Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

How to install transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler?

Can anyone advise me how this all hooks up to my water pumps/radiator? I understand that the tranny cooler would screw onto a (water) pump? I've had these parts lying around for heck knows how long, but since my car runs so hot, I wanted to make sure that the oil doesn't get too hot and decompose (huh, I don't think that's the right word for what happens with hot oil.)
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: How to install transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler?

Umm...

What the heck are you talking about? I am kinda confused.

The transmission cooler is not connected to the water pump in, in any way shape or form. You have two lines from the transmission. On the right side of the tranny you have an inbound line and outbound. Connect one to one side of the cooler and one to the other. That system is just that.

You can have an external cooler or one inside the radiator on the passenger side of the radiator. They do not touch coolant at all.

The oil cooler if you have one, starts above the oil filter, two barbs in and out, all the way to the cooling ports.

You do not "really" need an oil cooler on a stock motor. Considering most never came with one and even the new cars do not have them.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt 3.27
Re: How to install transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler?

You might want to look at the coolers and find a part number for them, then go online and you should be able to find instruction sheets for them. They both are easy to install but it is possible to screw things up if you don`t know what you are doing. All you really need on your car is the tranny cooler and they all pretty much hook up the same. Also, check the tech archives and you will get all the advice you can stand.