Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Having problems after work was done on car

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: auto
Having problems after work was done on car

Had Y-Pipe put on & radiator refilled & new upper and lower hoses. Brought it back, no anti freeze in overflow & car stalling out w/ engine light coming on. 400 miles later car overheated and blew about 4 in. hole in rad behind upper hose. I don`t know much about cars, but car never overheated & no problem with engine light...Hot spot??Fan is working. I`m trying to get rad out myself, can the radiator be taken out without jacking car up? Come on guys don`t laugh, this isn`t funny..Somebody help me with this..Code 12 & 24 VSS..71000 miles..305 TPI
Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc
Re: Having problems after work was done on car

Wow, sorry to hear about your trouble, man. That's what happens when you let a grease monkey touch your car.

But to answer your question: no, you don't need to jack up the car to remove the radiator. The screws that hold it to the body are only on the top. Though, it will be tough to drain the coolant with the car sitting on the ground.

You can get a new radiator for under $100 if you have a friend. Or you can buy a used one for half the price. I got a buddy who actually has one for sale if needed.

Test your radiator cap for the right blow-off pressure. If it doesn't blow off, it will create excessive pressure in the system and cause a blow-out just like yours.

Lou
Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 AM

Car: 86 ta ws6 silver and gun metal
Engine: 305 fi lb9 eng code f
Transmission: 700 r4 with shift kit
Axle/Gears: lim slip not sure gears

hi mandy .sorry to hear you having prob like that,i would take it back to were i got it fixed.see if they can help you can get drain pans that can slide under the car to help with the antifreeze lost during the rad change but like the other guy said check the cap,the guy that fixed it for you might have changed the cap and put on one that holds to much preasure not sure about the codes u have but you can clear them by taking loose the battery for 3 mn the codes will reset then after you get your new rad in drive it see if light comes back on if it does then you have a prob that needs attention
Old 11-18-2007, 11:08 AM

Car: 86 ta ws6 silver and gun metal
Engine: 305 fi lb9 eng code f
Transmission: 700 r4 with shift kit
Axle/Gears: lim slip not sure gears

the codes are as followes code 12 will flash during the check all that code 12 means is com is working or no dist pulse ref code . next code is vehicle speed sensor nothing that wiil hurt anything as i said before the bat loose it will clear the codes if any more help is needed feel free to email me directly at firebird952@yahoo.com i also have a 86 ta