Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

90 Firebird Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 pontiac firebird
Engine: 3.1L 6 cylinder
90 Firebird Coolant Leak

Hi Everyone,

I've been having a slow leak problem with the coolant in my '90 Firebird (3.1L V6) . It started a few months ago and at first it seemed to be loose hose coming off of the hot water valve. I had tightened it and everything seemed to be ok for a little while until the other day I noticed it was overheating. Popped the hood to see that my coolant tank was empty and that the valve was covered in coolant again, as before. I messed with it some and ended up just replacing the valve, I believe there was a crack in a piece of the plastic that had finally gone all the way. Anyway, after getting the new valve in (which was a real struggle) I put more coolant in and went on my way. Things seem fine, engine runs at the right temp and my cars heater is working properly again, but this morning when I poppped the hood to check the tank was very low again. I looked under the car and saw a spot on the pavement and could see fluid secreting on the bottom of the car. I believe on the transmission and around the oil pan. Is it possible I messed something up while installing the new valve? I've checked around that area and it seems pretty dry. The new valve seems to be working fine. Or is it likely that from all of the coolant already that had drained from the car it is just running off? I've heard that when replacing a part like that it takes the system a while to get all the fluid in it, it actually needs. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

-B
Old 12-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?
Re: 90 Firebird Coolant Leak

i had a similar problem with 5.0 V8 . not sure about the hose routing on a V6 . anyway most parts stores will do a sys. press. check for you . my leak was one of the hoses from the heater valve to the rear of the intake manifold . it ran down the back of the block near tranny . new hose , simple fix . hope yours is as simple and easy .