Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

3 temp sensors!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
3 temp sensors!?

ok just found out that there are 3 sensors on our cars!?!? is that true? one on the driver, one one the passenger and one on the manifold? ive been chasing a fan issue since august and i replaced the passenger side and manifold one but i didnt know there was a third one. Would that stop my fans from coming on? ive replaced everything else besides that one. My other issue is the thread sealer no thread sealer debate, WHICH ONE?! 50% say it wont ground 50% say it wont matter. Im lost i replaced the passenger head one like 3 times the first time with sealer, then with tape, then with nothing, no fix on that, replaced my manifold one that senses temp, WITH thread sealer, and it still works, im so fed up with this i ordered a electric fan relay kit form jegs, i want to put it in but i dont know if it will bypass my fan turning on when the A/c is on, any suggestionws to ANY of my above problems?

keep in mind the fan works when the A/c is on, but not on its own, grounds out fine and turns on etc...
Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: 3 temp sensors!?

The sensor on the driver's side is for the temp gauge. The sensor on the manifold is for the computer and the one on the pass side is for the fan.
If the fan comes on with the pass side sensor wire grounded, the fan and relay and wiring are all OK. It's just waiting for a ground from the temp switch.
I would use teflon thread sealer that comes in a tube (like sealant). The thread tape can be a problem for elec sensors (that need a ground) if too many wraps are applied.
Don't remember exactly what temp the pass side fan temp switch comes on at, but it's pretty high (seems like it was over 230).
The temp gauge in the dash may be reading high. Is the car actually overheating, or just reading high on the dash gauge? Can you connect a scanner and read what the computer thinks the temp is?

If you're wanting the fan to come on at a lower temp, might try a search on this board about using a temp sensor from a Buick Grand National. From what I've heard, they come on at a lower temp.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
Re: 3 temp sensors!?

well i havent tried changing the driver side one but when i tried to verify the operation of the toher two my fan never kicked on, redlined the gauge and actually overheated, im just going to bypass all of it on this engine and try to get my swap to work properly before it goes in