Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Manual fan switch (2fans) is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Manual fan switch (2fans) is this right?

Hi!

Today I intalled 2 switches to the relays to controll the fans when cruising at low speeds in town...

I used this for instructions (I have also installed the LEDs in the circuit)

Now to the "problem" When I have the Igition On (engine off) I can turn on the fan1 (driverside) with switch 1 and the LED turns on.
The same with Switch to I can turn on the secondary fan (passangerside) and use only passengerside or driverside or as said both of them.

When I start the car having the switches OFF and turn on the AC no fan starts.. (shall they do that ? never checked if the passengerside fan started before the install) When I push the first switch for driverside fan, its starts fine and runs good. When I shut it off and push switch 2 (for passengerside) both fans come on ?! Hows that possible ? When the engine is off it dosent do like that.. strange..

If I remove the AC pressure switch and put in a paperclip to ground it, both fans come on.. shall they do that ? What I can remember I read that passengerside fan shall always run when AC is on.. it dosent do that..

Will try removing the ground to the switches tomorrow and try to see if its the same "problem" then, if the fan dosent come on when AC is on when switches has the ground removed, we could exclude the switches to be the problem right ?

Will also try unplugging the + to the LED and see if theres a change...

Please let me know what you think, also heres some install pics from my "fan controll"

If I leave the switches off and let the engine reach fan start temp the LED for that fan is lightning up, just want I want to, then ill see when the fans are running other then manual override..
Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 AM

Re: Manual fan switch (2fans) is this right?

anyone ?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: GTA -89
Engine: Blown 415"
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt

Its how you wired it up, the schematics doesnt show all the wires.

also the Fan should start if its enough pressure to close the AC switch when you put the AC on, try to run the AC longer time to see if it build correct pressure.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by gta324
Its how you wired it up, the schematics doesnt show all the wires.

also the Fan should start if its enough pressure to close the AC switch when you put the AC on, try to run the AC longer time to see if it build correct pressure.
Switch 1= 2 connector switch with on/off.
on one side, is the ground to chassis. and on the other connector on the switch the - from the LED and ground from wire green/white from relay 1.

Switch 2= 2 connector switch with on/off.
on one side, is the ground to chassis (connected to same ground as switch 1 1 wire to chassis instead of 2. This is on the closed side of the terminal). and on the other connector on the switch the - from the LED and ground from wire green/white from relay 2.

the LEDs + is connected to ignition on + and can only be on when ignition is on.

Switch 1 is the driverside
Switch 2 is the passengerside.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

How do you want it to work?

The schematics you show doesnt show all the wires that are involved with Fan control, you have better schematicson your homepage .
Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM

How do you want it to work?

The schematics you show doesnt show all the wires that are involved with Fan control, you have better schematicson your homepage .
I wanna controll they separatly just run the driverside fan or just run the passengerside fan or both at the same time..

If I ground the F terminal (as I connected the switches) it should come on. They do that when the engine is off and ignition is on, but as soon as the engine is on and I switch on the passengerside switch both fans come on.

If I switch on the driverside switch only that one come on..

If I use a paperclip to ground the connector to AC pressure switch both fans come on.. why ?
and if the engine is off and ignition on and I do the same, only the passenger side fan comes on.. strange...

Wanna controll them separatly as said, maybe ill try running the ac longer and see if the fan comes on... strange that it dosent runned the ac on MAX for 50 minutes yesterday and nothing

Last edited by Theking; 07-02-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 350(300hp G.M crate, supercharged)
Transmission: 700R4

Remove the LED`s...Dont need them..Even if you leave the switches in the on position when leaving the car...as soon as you turn the engine off the fans will go off...Mine is wired up exactly like your pic but without the LED`s and I have seperate control over both fans..Works great
Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by CRUSHER
Remove the LED`s...Dont need them..Even if you leave the switches in the on position when leaving the car...as soon as you turn the engine off the fans will go off...Mine is wired up exactly like your pic but without the LED`s and I have seperate control over both fans..Works great
Why cant I have the LEDs ?

yeah the fans will not run when ignition is off, but if ignition is on but engine off then they run..

Why is both fan running when I ground the secondary (passengerside) fan relay ? thats strange, they arent wired togheter by me, just took 2 wires and soldered them into each relay pin F and 2 switches and the same ground on the switches (that will work,no need for 2 ground when they just ground.)

When the engine is off and ignition on I can run them separatly, when engine is on I only can run the driverside fan manually, if i turn on the switch on passengerside fan both will run, strange...
Old 07-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Test this.

sec fan relay.

remove the "F" wire from relay and put a 2-way switch there.
In position 1 - like stock
In position 2 - open circuit to fan switch/AC pressure but the fan relay "F" should be grounded.
Attached Thumbnails Manual fan switch (2fans) is this right?-namnl-s.jpg  
Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM

So I need a 2way switch for the secondary fan then ?

This is how its connected now (havent printed out the connections between the fan and relays, just the green/white thats F on the relay.

Why isnt that connection work ? it works when the engine is off, then I can controll them separatly
Old 07-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Technically, nothing should change between run with the engine off and run with the car running except the ECM knows that the car is running, and maybe sees that the secondary fan is on and figures the AC is on.

I would try to isolate this by getting the ecm out of the equation. It may mean cutting a wire, but it's worth a shot.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Or put a switch that moves the power from "E" to "C" on the relay, but it has to be able to handle some AMPS then, but you can run one fan with ignition off.

When you ground your switch you'll get ground on D11 on ECM, I Thinks its why both fans starts when you starts your engine. Try the way I suggested, use loose wires so you dont solder anything.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM

Well I dont wanna cut a wire to the ECM, I will try removing the power + to the leds and see if it changes. if not, then Ill remove the ground to the switches and see if the fan comes on when AC is on.

Going to the garage now, be back later. please feel free to write down more of your ideas
Old 07-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 350(300hp G.M crate, supercharged)
Transmission: 700R4

I see the problem now....Your LED (closest to the ECM)on the Primary cooling fan is in reverse which explains both fans are running....Flip the LED around that should do it

keep the original wiring setup as is...Just flip the LED around

Last edited by CRUSHER; 07-02-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Or put a switch that moves the power from "E" to "C" on the relay, but it has to be able to handle some AMPS then, but you can run one fan with ignition off.

When you ground your switch you'll get ground on D11 on ECM, I Thinks its why both fans starts when you starts your engine. Try the way I suggested, use loose wires so you dont solder anything.

So D11 grounds and thats why the driverside fan comes on 1 sec later after I started the passengerside ?

What do you mean with loose wires ? I still need to switches right,.
will try and disconnect the ground to the switches and see if the ac fan starts then when its removed from the ground (will leave the wires soldered into the green/white but unplug the ground to the switch, also I will try removing the + to the LEDs and see if that changes..

Its strange that I can run them separetly when ignition is on and engine off, and when I start the engine, I only can run the driverside alone, If I shut that one off and switch on the passengerside switch both will start...
----------
Originally Posted by CRUSHER
I see the problem now....Your LED (closest to the ECM)on the Primary cooling fan is in reverse which explains both fans are running....Flip the LED around that should do it
I will try unplugging the + to the LEDs and see if that helps.

What do you mean with flip ? they connected to the same + source

Last edited by Theking; 07-02-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

It is very odd, which is why I am thinking that it is some sort of ECM failsafe for the AC request circuit... I may be wrong, but it makes sense to me
Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5

something is messed up with your wiring.
I installed 2 swtiches for my fans, tied into the ground on each relay.
When the car is off, nothing happens with the switches.
When the car is on, I can turn either one on with the switches.

I'll go out and see if the drivers side fan will turn on when I only switch the pass side one on.

I do know that when you run the A/C (and your A/C is charged), pass side fan turns on first then the drivers side one comes on a second or two later.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zepher
something is messed up with your wiring.
I installed 2 swtiches for my fans, tied into the ground on each relay.
When the car is off, nothing happens with the switches.
When the car is on, I can turn either one on with the switches.

I'll go out and see if the drivers side fan will turn on when I only switch the pass side one on.

I do know that when you run the A/C (and your A/C is charged), pass side fan turns on first then the drivers side one comes on a second or two later.
When I turn on the AC on MAX and having the coolest set, the fan dosent start.
When I ground the switch to passengerside fan (as the AC switch would have done) The passengerside fan starts and 2-3 seconds later driverside fan comes on. So that part is right then.. ?

Also When I put a paperclip into the AC Pressureswitch harness to ground it, pass side fan starts, 2-3 seconds later driverside fan starts.

Called a friend with a 1989 to, he tried to put a paperclip in the ac pressure switch to, also both fans run.. so that seems right then ? nothing to worry about that anymore then ?

Seems like you cannot run only the passenger side fan. both will start when you ground the relay for passengerside fan..

and my switches dont work either when ingiton is off. but if the ignition is on but engine not running I can controll them seperatly. try that to Zepher, I think it may be the same for you.

Last edited by Theking; 07-02-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

You can use a different style relay and wire it up so that it simulataneously disconnects the wire from the ECM so it does not sense that the fan is on.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Toehead
You can use a different style relay and wire it up so that it simulataneously disconnects the wire from the ECM so it does not sense that the fan is on.
Yeah but if it starts with stock wiring it really dosent matter. It can be good to run 1 on driverside, and the second button runs them both. then I can only push 1 switch to runt them both and if I only need little cooling I can switch on the other switch. ( as long its as it should be, dont wanna break anything or so..)

Seems like both fans should run when secondary (passengerside) relay is grounded. that means that when the temp reaches 238F both fan will run, that seems right thou.. So then I can close this project then ?

Zepher: did both start when you grounded the passengerside.. it shouldnt be any difference between grounding manually and when the AC is on and grounding the same wire..
Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

good point
Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 PM

So hopefully its right now .

Will see what Zepher says about his fans, but as said my friends fans did start when he grounded the passengerside fan, and grounded the ac pressure switch so it should run both..

This was complicated dont wanna break something, just needed to get it right
Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Theking
I wanna controll they separatly just run the driverside fan or just run the passengerside fan or both at the same time..
Then you need a diffrent wiring.

Or keep it like it is if you like, but I thought you didnt like both fans to come on with one switch.

On my car I control both fans with ECM, never overheated ( so far)

And when your car reaches 238deg hopefully No1 fan already started.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 AM

Then you need a diffrent wiring.

Or keep it like it is if you like, but I thought you didnt like both fans to come on with one switch.

On my car I control both fans with ECM, never overheated ( so far)

And when your car reaches 238deg hopefully No1 fan already started.
Yeah the reason for that i wanted to do that was because I thought it was like that in stock. that the driverside runs for it self and the passengerside runs for itself. but it seems like when the passengerside grounds, both will come on, no matter what, thats the stock wiring and function then I can have it like that. I friend tried to ground his ac pressure switch and it was the same for him, both fans came on first the passengerside 2-3 seconds later, the driverside to. So it seems like it should do that

as long as I dont break anything with this wiring im good
Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5

I just tested mine and here are the results:
Ignition on, SW1 controls only Fan 1 and SW2 only controls Fan 2.
Engine Running, SW1 controls only Fan 1, SW2 turns on both Fans at the same time.
I removed all of the A/C stuff from the car and nothing happens when I turn the A/C Controls to any of the A/C Settings.

I got a couple of new PC games yesterday, STALKER and Blacksite: Area51, so I didn't have time yesterday to test the car.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:37 AM

Zepher, then its exaclty as for me . So then its installed right in my car to

if you ground the AC Pressure switch with an paperclip your both fans prolly would start to run to (if you got the pressure switch still there.)

Thanks all for your help and comments