Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

my controls are stuck on defrost

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T56
my controls are stuck on defrost

After I got my new engine and transmission in my camaro, and got everything settled down, well, when I want to change my controls on max, so I would have air conditioning blowing out of the air vents, Nothing happens, but its stuck on defrost. and it wont change, even when I turn the control off.

My heating and my air conditioning works fine and they do change when I want it hot or cold.
The speed of the air blowing out (low, med, high.) all works too just fine.

My dad said I probably unplugged an vacuum line that was hooked up to my controls, and he printed off a diagram of how it is all hooked up, but it says its hooked up to the vacuum tank?

if I beleive so, I think it was the round black can that sits on the driver side in where a second battery could sit at, I took out that black can out and I have my fuel pump there. (not the best place to put it, but I didnt want to put it under the car in the back next to the gas tank.)

I took off that vacuum can out because my cruise control wouldnt work before and I didnt feel like hooking it up, so I decided to get rid of it all together.

any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: my controls are stuck on defrost

Originally Posted by Demon_Eater
any suggestions?
Put it back? Without vacuum to operate the dampers within the ductwork HVAC controls will revert to the default position, which is defrost.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:24 PM

ok.
I wanted to make sure it was the vacuum tank that was needed to be put back.
my friend that has two camaros, he took out his and he said I didn't need it, well that's why I took it out in the first place. (I'll put it back on this weekend sometime.) I'm sure my friend doesn't notice a difference because both of his cars sits and only be taken out when he just got something fixed or put on it and want to test it out. other than that, those poor cars sits in the shop forever...
Old 10-03-2008, 07:08 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

The can is a vacuum reservoir and will provide vacuum to controls during brief periods when the engine is not providing enough vacuum. The HVAC controls could probably be operated without the can provided they are provided the proper engine vacuum. At worst you may have the vents change to defrost during periods of heavy throttle. I'd still recommend retaining it-it's hidden and easier to reconnect everything the way it was.

The black round can you're likely referring to may be the charcoal canister. It retains fuel vapors from the tank and intake to be burned during startup. Without it, an alternate method of venting the tank may be required to avoid overpressure and/or fumes permeating the engine bay from the vent lines.

The vacuum reservoir is actually the black ball that sits underneath this canister.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 PM

black ball?
I didnt take the one off. (as I remeber atleast.) I'll have to take a good look at it.
I did take off the hoses off the canister and took off the cruise control bracket and line out as well.
I'll probably take out my center console again to make sure things arent pinched or got caught.
I'll look for the black ball and see where the lines go to and see if any hoses are ruin or what I can find.

as right now, im putting in drag bags in my springs, Not very hard, just a little confusing out it works out and hoping nothing gets ruined.

Thanks.
Tim