Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/C Compressor Clutch Noise and Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Compressor Clutch Noise and Cycling

Guys, My A/C works ok (slightly cool) but makes alot of noise when the compressor clutch engages. Also the clutch continually engages and disengages every couple seconds. When I first bought the car it had a piece of gasket like material sticking out of the front of the clutch mechanism. Could this have been a gasket or something that broke down? Can i replace just the clutch or do I need a new compressor to get the noise to go away. Also should it be cycling off and on that much? How can I resolve this?

I have also read people posting about there cooling fan in relation to the A/C. My electric fan is on a switch and is in no way interfaced with anything, will that make a difference?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:22 PM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: old one thanks luke (350)
Transmission: custom built 700r
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Re: A/C Compressor Clutch Noise and Cycling

your low on freon put freon with dye in it. in the carif it is not leaking out of the compressor then yes you can just change the clutch. there are little shims in it make sure you shim the new clutch. but you can buy a complete compressor for cheap like $125 replace the drier and orfice tube to.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_James
Guys, My A/C works ok (slightly cool) but makes alot of noise when the compressor clutch engages. Also the clutch continually engages and disengages every couple seconds. When I first bought the car it had a piece of gasket like material sticking out of the front of the clutch mechanism. Could this have been a gasket or something that broke down? Can i replace just the clutch or do I need a new compressor to get the noise to go away. Also should it be cycling off and on that much? How can I resolve this?

I have also read people posting about there cooling fan in relation to the A/C. My electric fan is on a switch and is in no way interfaced with anything, will that make a difference?
I think I may be experiencing the same thing. When idling, once I turn on the air, it blows nice and cold, but there's a grinding or rubbing noise that you can hear. It sounds like something is turning, as it gets a little louder, then lets up, then louder, etc. It will then quit completely for a minute or so, and start over again. Once you get going or turn the air off it stops. Is that the same thing that's happening to you?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM

Just wanted to see if that sounded similar to your problem and whether or not you were able to fix yours.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. Ive been busy at work and short on cash so I havent fooled with it much. Your problem does sound similar to mine although Im not sure if my sound goes away after a while or not. I know once I get driving its hard to hear it but I think its still there as long as its trying to cycle on and off.

Based on the responses and talking with other people I think my first step will be to get it leak checked and recharged. Id rather keep it R12 so Im gonna wait till I can pay to have it inspected and charged.

The noise might go away once it gets oiled and charged, if not guess It may need a new compressor and / or clutch. I havent been trying to run mine since Ive been afraid if the noise is from being low on oil then I might damage it further.