Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Installing Adjustable Temperature Control Switch, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro RS
Engine: GMPP 350 HO 330hp
Transmission: TCI Streetfighter TH-700R
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Installing Adjustable Temperature Control Switch, need help

This may be a very stupid question, but I dont know anything about electrics so here it comes..

I have a factory style fan control, exept jet fan switch (195/185) I want to instal a Jegs Adjustable Temperature Control Switch, but I'm not sure how to. Do I just cut the red wire going to the fan and put this between those wires, and it works?

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst.../555-52125.pdf

I dont need to put any fuses anywhere, because I'm using the original red wire??
Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Installing Adjustable Temperature Control Switch, need help

This unit does away with the Jet switch - don't remove it, just leave it in as a plug

Just wire this in as the directions point out - run a pos from the fusible link center to the controller, and run the pos fan wire to the controller, then ground the neg fan wire anywhere.

This will of course make it so the fan runs always regardless of key on/off UNTIL the temp comes down.

To rig so it only runs with ign on, insert a relay between the fusible link connection and the controller, and connect a hot-in-run to the relay along with a ground - then the fan will only run while ign is on and temp is hot enough.

You won't need any fuse, as it's showing a fuse between the battery and the controller - if it doesn't come with this wire with an inline fuse - splice an inline 30amp fuse between the battery and the controller (unless using the relay, then a fuse is not needed as the relay will act as one and burn itself out under too much load).

This will also remove the need foe your fan relay and associated wiring - but you can (and should) leave it all intact until you know everything works properly).

Last edited by camaronewbie; 03-08-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: fuse
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 AM

Car: Camaro RS
Engine: GMPP 350 HO 330hp
Transmission: TCI Streetfighter TH-700R
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
This unit does away with the Jet switch - don't remove it, just leave it in as a plug

Just wire this in as the directions point out - run a pos from the fusible link center to the controller, and run the pos fan wire to the controller, then ground the neg fan wire anywhere.

This will of course make it so the fan runs always regardless of key on/off UNTIL the temp comes down.

To rig so it only runs with ign on, insert a relay between the fusible link connection and the controller, and connect a hot-in-run to the relay along with a ground - then the fan will only run while ign is on and temp is hot enough.

You won't need any fuse, as it's showing a fuse between the battery and the controller - if it doesn't come with this wire with an inline fuse - splice an inline 30amp fuse between the battery and the controller (unless using the relay, then a fuse is not needed as the relay will act as one and burn itself out under too much load).

This will also remove the need foe your fan relay and associated wiring - but you can (and should) leave it all intact until you know everything works properly).
Thanks!

I want it to run only with ign on. I found a wiring diagram and there already is a relay at the other end of the factory redwire(other end is going to the fan) haha.. so I ground the fan -> cut red wire -> put adjustable fanswitch between those two red wires and thats it
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 PM

i bought a similar one from classic industries, love it and not difficult at all to hook up