Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/C Condenser/Radiator Core support removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/C Condenser/Radiator Core support removal?

So, after much frustration with trying to get my Champion radiator to fit in my car, and wasting plenty of time shaving down the rubber isolators, I've come to find out that my radiator core support is bent, from a previous vehicle jacking

It's too bent to simply hammer out, so it looks like I'm going to need to rip it out and put a good one in it. I'm curious about the process of removing the A/C condenser before I start unbolting stuff though. It seems like anything about it in the Hayne's manual tells you not to service it yourself, and that refrigerant is dangerous, blah blah blah...I'm just curious if there is anything else I need other than basic hand tools to remove it? Or if I should take any precautions over refrigerant that might spill out upon unhooking hoses? (other than having a container for it to pour into).

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A/C Condenser/Radiator Core support removal?

Originally Posted by Flightoficarus
So, after much frustration with trying to get my Champion radiator to fit in my car, and wasting plenty of time shaving down the rubber isolators, I've come to find out that my radiator core support is bent, from a previous vehicle jacking

It's too bent to simply hammer out, so it looks like I'm going to need to rip it out and put a good one in it. I'm curious about the process of removing the A/C condenser before I start unbolting stuff though. It seems like anything about it in the Hayne's manual tells you not to service it yourself, and that refrigerant is dangerous, blah blah blah...I'm just curious if there is anything else I need other than basic hand tools to remove it? Or if I should take any precautions over refrigerant that might spill out upon unhooking hoses? (other than having a container for it to pour into).

Thanks in advance for any help!
You'll need some basic hand tools like a wrench for example. I know, I know, it sucks.

Honestly, it's against Federal law to unhook any of those condenser lines as they have the refrigerant in them and releasing it into the air is a major offense. Plus I don't think mother nature appreciates it.

When I removed my ac condenser last summer I had my mechanic drain out all of the refrigerant and to do that should be free at any shop. Then you can take it out and do what you want with it. But here's a video of me discussing my removal of my ac condenser. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcdlQ...layer_embedded
Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn..Hmm, well, what should I do? The stock radiator and water pump are both toast, so driving the car isn't an option. Would it be too much of a PITA to try and work around the condenser? or is it possible to have a mechanic come out to it and drain any refrigerant? because driving the car simply isn't an option ATM :/ I was told that the A/C needed to be recharged when I bought the car (haven't tried using it), but either way, I'd prefer to avoid the cost of having the car towed if I can.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flightoficarus
Damn..Hmm, well, what should I do? The stock radiator and water pump are both toast, so driving the car isn't an option. Would it be too much of a PITA to try and work around the condenser? or is it possible to have a mechanic come out to it and drain any refrigerant? because driving the car simply isn't an option ATM :/ I was told that the A/C needed to be recharged when I bought the car (haven't tried using it), but either way, I'd prefer to avoid the cost of having the car towed if I can.
What I would do honestly if you really want/need to do this is go on Craigslist and find a mobile mechanic who can do what you need done. I'm sure someone can as I have used Craigslist to find a mobile mechanic once.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

10 or20k fine for being caught letting refrigerant into the air. Ya know since the refrigerant is heavier than air it goes to the atmosphere...anyway. calling a mobile mechanic to recover your freon is the best way to go and be legit. Should only charge between 25-45 dollars to evacuate and normally recharge. Plus freon. Some might even give you credit if you have R12 freon.