Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

'92 Camaro RS V6 Fan Wiring

Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 Camaro RS V6 Fan Wiring

Alright, so, the previous owners (idiots) who possessed my 1992 Camaro RS rigged the fan to run off the ignition fuse. I have no idea what the problem was with the factory circuit, but they cut the wire just behind the fan, ran a new 12 or 14ga wire up to the fuse box, and shoved it in, so when the key is on, the fan is on.

I believe the thermostat isn't opening properly 'cause of this jury rigged fan. I do not want to damage the engine because some fool couldn't fix a relay. Oh and, possibly unrelated, possibly not, but the heater fan stays on when you cut the key off. If that's related in some way, tell me. Although the coded magnetic key has been bypassed for a ford style solenoid starter... Not a clue why... I'm going to swap that back to a proper key.

So, any idea's how to fix the fan? And is it related to the heater fan staying on, or is that due to the ignition being monkeyed with? If the wiring in this car turns out too FUBAR'd, I'm going to find another solid F body, Trans Am or Camaro, don't' care which, and swap in the 3.1 and trans.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: '92 Camaro RS V6 Fan Wiring

I'm assuming the heater blower keeps running with the key off. I am also going to assume it keeps running in HIGH, in which case there is a problem in the relay circuit (relay is next to the blower on the heater box, unplug it and see what happens).

Coolant fan is on a completely different circuit from the other for the heater, no connection except maybe in the power supply (possibly the high blower relay is fed off of the same fusible link but I think that's the only place). You will need to find and connect the wire PO cut to the fan before you do anything else and get rid of the jerry-rigging.

No, you can't damage the engine running it too cold, but your gas mileage is going to stink.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

3 seperate issues. fan first: http://austinthirdgen.org/mkportal/m...ine_wiring.gif
the fan is controlled by the ECM. chances are the relay died and they just bypassed it, or it was overheating and this was the "fix"
the relay should have 4 wires. red is battery constant, brown is switched 12v from the fan fuse, black with a red stripe is the fan power, and the dark green wire with the white stripe is the ground which is triggered by the ecm.

the heater fan staying on with the key on. that i have no clue why it would do that other than the PO doing some more creative wiring.

the key "fix" is probably because something went wrong with the VATS system or they were getting heatsoak on the starter solenoid (the ford remote solenoid has been a popular fix for that)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Alright, thanks for the info, and yeah, the gas mileage has been a bit lower than what it should be.

I'm gonna fix the wiring sometime around spring, it's quite cold out now, and I don't feel like trying to wire anything with frozen fingers. Question though, should I just pull another fan harness from another car since this one has been mutilated? There's a few that I could pull it from at the junkyard, possibly the one I'm getting door hinges off of.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Only way to get another fan harness is to completely replace the engine harness. The relay is on the driver's side, by the brake booster. The power to the relay coil comes from the C100 just below it and the ground is on the cylinder head. The power to the fan side of the relay comes from either the starter or junction block by the headlights/battery to the relay, and the wiring from the relay to the fan winds all the way across the back of the engine, down the pass side frame rail, and across the radiator to the motor. No easy way to get it out of the harness.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Alright, thanks for the info.

Since the power either comes from the starter, or somewhere else, could it have been that bypassing the factory solenoid for the starter caused the fan to malfunction?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dead Reckon
Alright, thanks for the info.

Since the power either comes from the starter, or somewhere else, could it have been that bypassing the factory solenoid for the starter caused the fan to malfunction?
I doubt it as the blower fan works, as you know (since it doesn't shut off), and I believe the power supply for that is down there.

I still need to get my 92 FSM out of the garage...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 PM

Well the only wiring I've done to a car is bypass the factory radio power, and memory power circuits, 'cause my idiot neighbor managed to fry them both by putting a junkyard stereo in his '84 'Roo GL, was a good little car, before he bounced his F150 off of it, landed it ina ditch, and side swiped something the size of a mack truck with it... Oh, and, he put used CVC's on it...

Anyway, enough rambling about that poor car, onto my poor car...

The fix I did in that 'Roo was simple, very simple, this issue with the Camaro is sounding quite unsimple... So, I'm just trying to be cautious before I get in over my head. I haven't done much work to a car this new (And it's twenty years old, if that tells you how broke I am). So, I'm just taking baby steps, asking people who have had these things stripped down to nothing how they'd fix it.

So far, thanks for the advice, what do you recommend I do to patch this based on the photo's below? Oh, and what do you make of the wiring down there? For instance, what on earth is that purple wire with the crimper do? Something with the fan?

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Red/?start=all