Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Can anyone explain this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI V8
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Can anyone explain this?

Can someone explain what this was doing in the coolant reservoir and why? I was just going through checking hoses and lines and fluid levels when I noticed the string, and then fished out this…

I have never seen anything like this before and although I didn't put it back it is driving me crazy as to WHY someone would intentionally do this. I know it is possible I may never know, but I am hoping someone can help shed some light

Name:  DSCF1416.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  29.9 KB
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Re: Can anyone explain this?

Sacrificial anode maybe.... Usually they go in the radiator though. They are just a piece of zinc that is supposed to corrode instead of the radiator. Although, there is usually some other problem if your radiator is corroding...
Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI V8
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Can anyone explain this?

Originally Posted by BlueIroc-Z
Sacrificial anode maybe.... Usually they go in the radiator though. They are just a piece of zinc that is supposed to corrode instead of the radiator. Although, there is usually some other problem if your radiator is corroding...
The radiator was replaced before my family got it 3 years ago and the water pump just last year, so maybe they put it in there before that and just never took it out. Lord only knows. That makes at least some sense now, and I really don't feel bad for taking it out now =)

THANKS!

I just went back out to throw it away and got a closer look, this thing is aluminum? After asking around to family about the original owner (my godmother's father in law) I discovered he used to work on subs in the Navy and worked for NASA afterward and had some fairly unorthodox methods to his madness apparently? He would keep this in the coolant tank as means of checking to see if the antifreeze was keeping the aluminum radiator free of scale and lime build up. Totally strange yes, but at least mystery solved. I guess it is good to know the family that bought it off the lot! The old man died and my godmother drove it around for awhile until she sold it to my little sister 3 years ago. I am only the fourth titled owner.

Last edited by spoazzy1; 02-12-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added comment