Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Heater Control Valve Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater Control Valve Help!!!!!

I just had some minor repairs done to my TA so I wanted to take it out and see how much of an improvement it had made, so when I got on a highway entrance ramp I put my foot in it a little and then the next thing I know I was a 70 mph cloud of smoke. I feared the worst but when I pulled over to take a look part of the heater control valve had completely broken off spraying coolant all over the engine. So I put on a new valve and put in some new coolant and when it idles it's fine but when I put it in gear and use the gas at at all my temp gauge is still all over the place and now some smoke is coming through the exhaust. I had the head gaskets replaced not long ago and the car never got hot enough to overheat so what problems could there be/should I just flush the coolant system?? There is still some coolant on the engine so that's causing some smoke so would it just be sucking smoke through the air intake? Should I replace the thermostat?

I'm just scared of a larger problem that the valve breaking could cause. I'm a novice at repairs so I always fear the worst.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM

Car: 1988 GTA Trans Am
Engine: HSR 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Heater Control Valve Help!!!!!

What do you mean by the gauge is still all over the place?

What color smoke are you seeing from the exhaust?
Blue/grey - oil
White - coolant also has a sweeter smell to it
Black - rich condition
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM

From what I could tell the smoke was white. I only saw it after I turned the engine off for a few seconds and I walked around the car.

And I mean that the car will idle up to normal temperature and then when I use the gas pedel the temp will rise until I let off then it will either slowly go back to normal temp or just quickly drop.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: TH 350

First thing to do is replace the broken parts, clean up the spilled coolant and top up the system. Now when you say "would it just be sucking smoke through the air intake?" are thinking it's coming out the exhaust? Try to find out what's wrong before you flush the system or replace anything that isn't obviously broken
Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM

Car: 1988 GTA Trans Am
Engine: HSR 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Ya what he said. Then have someone in your car while your at the tail pipe looking to see if its still smoking or not and note the color.