Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/C parts for conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 Posi LS1
A/C parts for conversion

So I am looking for a list of parts to get a good working A/c system. I already have a brand new drier and the red orfice tube and all green o-rings. I have flushed my existing condenser and evap already.

1 What in the part number for this crossflow condenser I have read about?

2 I don't have a serpentine system as I have an 85 what would be the best compressor to use? And I don't really want to spend $400 on one.

3 Do I need to change the hoses? I have read both sides of it.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: A/C parts for conversion

The only R134a conversion parallel flow condensers I've heard of are universal ones. But it's been a while since I've done any conversions.

I converted my '92 Lumina to R134a 4 years ago and retained the original condenser. I don't think a parallel flow condenser would improve cooling performance in my case. Might be different for you.

As far as sourcing a compressor, I would avoid anything that a DIY place would stock. Bite the bullet and spend some money.

I'm assuming your original compressor blew its guts and the debris was circulating through the system? So yes, change the hose assembly. Don't bother trying to flush hoses. Why risk a rebuilt and flushed and clean system to an old hose assembly? I would install a new hose assembly regardless.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 Posi LS1

Originally Posted by paulo57509

The only R134a conversion parallel flow condensers I've heard of are universal ones. But it's been a while since I've done any conversions.

I converted my '92 Lumina to R134a 4 years ago and retained the original condenser. I don't think a parallel flow condenser would improve cooling performance in my case. Might be different for you.

As far as sourcing a compressor, I would avoid anything that a DIY place would stock. Bite the bullet and spend some money.

I'm assuming your original compressor blew its guts and the debris was circulating through the system? So yes, change the hose assembly. Don't bother trying to flush hoses. Why risk a rebuilt and flushed and clean system to an old hose assembly? I would install a new hose assembly regardless.
I appreciate the input Ill get new hoses. I haven't had a/c in this car for years. Figured I would try to get working and try to enjoy it a little more this year.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Pick up a condenser from a 91-92. Those are the best version and are semi cross-flow. Not true cross flow, but kind of a hybrid between the old style and cross-flow.

For a compressor, take a look at the thread about the sanden compressor. Some of us are making that one work with a few mods.

As mentioned, I'd replace everything that's suspect rather than flushing it.