Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating issue

So I'm having some over heating issues. Ive had the car 15 years and never run into something like this. New radiator, no thermostat, no water leakage, no water in the oil, fan is working, and new radiator cap. Check to make sure the water pump is working and it is pumping water through the radiator. What else could this be? 1992 rs camaro 305
Old 05-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Overheating issue

New radiator, no thermostat, no water leakage

Do you mean no thermostat or a new one? You need some type of thermostat to regulate the flow of coolant.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

A better description of when it occurs, after what driving, what makes you think it's overheating, any or all symptoms displayed, etc. would make it easier to help
Is the air dam intact?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

If fans are operating, air dam is intact, and you need a thermostat in it, I have replaced many radiators that have clogged up over time. I check them with a infrared thermometer once vehicle is warmed up. If there is a 20 degree or more difference from top to bottom I replace them. Another thing to consider is how old is your water pump? The impeller is nothing more than sheet metal and do degrade over time. It may be time for a cooling system overhaul. Just saw you said new radiator, I'd still check it for hot spots with infrared thermometer. Did you replace radiator because of overheating? When I work on cooling systems I no longer pour coolant in them. I use a vacuum fill I got from snap on as it eliminates the possibilities of air pockets in the system which will cause one to overheat. Give us more details about when it overheats. At a stop idling or going down the road. Make for sure your airdam is intact.

Last edited by Jbuchanan; 05-02-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi

Two quick questions. Is this a new problem that just started recently, and have any changes, other than the radiator and thermostat been made to the car?

Specifically, changes made fairly recently before the problem began?