Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/c clutch stick on

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/c clutch stick on

Hi, i have a 85 camaro which has a/c before, but one of last owners deleted it. Missing parts are condenser, hoses and even compressor. I have found a complete set with all a/c 'in-freon' parts in a junkyard. The evaporator seems OK, but i have another one, the condenser is like brand new, and parts were all assembled, si no water on it. There is a little fréon on it, but vert very low pressure.

The compressor turns good, but the clutch is stuck on. Do you think it worth giving it a try by removing the clutch, clean the rust, then réassemble it? Dont want to spend 7-800$ on a/c system, but maybe change system o rings, then fill it with fréon. Whats the cheapest way to repair compressor without buying a rebuild or brand new?

Last edited by Camaro-3; 06-11-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: A/c clutch stick on

Can you simply replace the clutch?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Yes, but the compressor itself is not brand new, so i prefer to fix it like i can (if possible), then fill the system, maybe ill be lucky and the compressor will works well. Worst case i will buy a rebuild if compressor is bad.
​​​​​
is it possible to fill the a/c with cans without doing the vacuum with the professionnal machine? I know i cant empty a/c myself by law, but it ils already empty.

Before filling it, i plan to change system o rings at least.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:34 PM

I think the clutch airgap is too close and/or there is rust between the clutch discs. I will remove the clutch, then clean it, and airgap it more loose.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Saving Cold Cash

Originally Posted by Camaro-3
is it possible to fill the a/c with cans without doing the vacuum with the professionnal machine?
Yes.

Now the performance will be a bit shy of optimum due to the fact you started out with air in the system instead of only refrigerant.

After you do that your mixture will be 27% air, 73% refrigerant.

However if you the open the schrader valve, to release the pressure after running the system to test/mix the gas, then recap it before new air enters, then recharge the system, your air-refrigerant ratio will improve to 8% air, 92% refrigerant.

But even without that purge/second recharge you might find the AC to be plenty cold.

Originally Posted by Camaro-3
Before filling it, i plan to change system o rings at least.

O-rings are made from different materials based on the type of system oil you’re going to use, so select the correct ones.

Also keep in mind you should use a low-side gage to monitor the pressure, the correct type of oil depending on the type of refrigerant, and a new desiccant (accumulator) can.

Happy Racing !

Nitromethane Smells Sweet When Burning, But Please, No Roasting Marshmallows On The Zoomies