Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Car running to Warm PART 2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Car running to Warm PART 2!!!

Hey guys...well for some of you I posted yesterday on some things on my 87 IROC running to warm at times...

Okay so here is whats happening. So I just got the car back from my mechanic...had been in there for 3 months basically getting things done to it. Well I got it back, drove it home about 45 min drive. The next day drove it to the store and back, and popped the hood. Glad I did. Well I smelled a bit of anit freeze...and low and behold it was puddled up on top of the thermostat housing??? It was a mainly from what I could tell the starting at where the thermostat housing makes its 90 degree bend from bolt to bolt looking at the car from the right hand side of course.

So I spoke to my mechanic...due to my work schedule etc I cannot drop the car off until this weekend, he said he would look at it next week...that was the earliest he could get to it regardless of how soon I dropped it off. I asked him over the phone that since the thermostat had been replaced by you guys and now that area is leaking if there is a problem there is that on you guys and you would cover it...he said well if its a cracked thermostat housing theres nothing we can do about that? My thoughts is I literally picked the car up 1 day, drove it down the freeway, parked in garage, then drove to store....so your telling me that this problem, w/e it is was not prevalent when you test drove the car and decided it was deemed ready for pick up???

My next question is the car got up into the 140ish range...I filled up the reservoir and the next morning after I drove the car it dropped about 2" in there....so its clearly leaking out from somewhere? I'm no expert on cars...I checked to see if there was water in the oil....it looked fine...I dont guess I hurt anything internal yet? Worried this car means a lot to me. Also the car seems fine to drive AS long your not in bumper to bumper traffic for a extended amount of time, and keeps cool around 180-220 range thru out.

What are you thoughts on the issue...and please help me understand from a mechanical point with pressure and stuff why if the housing is cracked it gets too hot...also DO YOU guys think that is the problem, I also tightened up the hose leading to the housing, and cant see that any leaks are dripping down from that, and I checked the lower hose for signs of a faulty water pump....I cant see any drips from the weep hole...nor hear the water pump at least I dont think so...the exhaust is loud so is it possible I wouldnt be able to hear the water pump whining?...thank you for reading.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Car running to Warm PART 2!!!

#1. OKAY, I once had a cracked thermostat housing....I changed from the original aluminum to steel....problem solved.
#2. Put a new radiator cap on. Its holding back 14-16 psi of pressure....they get weak over time. It will push antifreeze out of the rad and into the overflow if weak.
#3. You keep using "140, 130, 120ish numbers. You are actually meaning 220, 230, 240???
#4. Have you got a temp gun from Harbor Freight or somewhere and actually checked the temp at the T Stat housing? 220-230 is not hot for these cars.
#5. Are you running 50/50 mix anti freeze and water?
#6. Check your air dam again for it all being there and not hanging by a thread.

You will know when your WP goes out...as mentioned before by the weep hole and noise you cant miss.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 AM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Re: Car running to Warm PART 2!!!

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
#1. OKAY, I once had a cracked thermostat housing....I changed from the original aluminum to steel....problem solved.
#2. Put a new radiator cap on. Its holding back 14-16 psi of pressure....they get weak over time. It will push antifreeze out of the rad and into the overflow if weak.
#3. You keep using "140, 130, 120ish numbers. You are actually meaning 220, 230, 240???
#4. Have you got a temp gun from Harbor Freight or somewhere and actually checked the temp at the T Stat housing? 220-230 is not hot for these cars.
#5. Are you running 50/50 mix anti freeze and water?
#6. Check your air dam again for it all being there and not hanging by a thread.

You will know when your WP goes out...as mentioned before by the weep hole and noise you cant miss.

Omg...I'm sorry, I did mean to say the 200#s...well again I'm like I said not the mechanic here. I do not have a temp gun...I guess its running 50/50 mix...my mechanic would know better...the air damn does seem to be intact...