Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Best way to seal thermostat housing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:47 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Best way to seal thermostat housing replacement

Hey guys...well as you have seen on my older threads I have decided to replace the thermostat housing on my own and take it somewhere to have the fluids flushed out of it.

So question...I'v heard to use RTV for this...if so any particular brands you you use...also I assume you use the gasket in conjunction with the RTV right? If so how is that put on, RTV first then gasket, then RTV on top of gasket?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Best way to seal thermostat housing replacement

I Used This,The Gasket Has A Bead Of Sealer Embedded In It On Both Sides No RTV Needed,No Leaks.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

That either is or looks just like the FelPro 35562T gasket with the sealing ring.
Also findable at Autozone. Make sure the bottom mating surface on the housing is nice and flat and smooth also. Easy to do with the aluminum pieces
Old 08-01-2017, 04:11 PM
On Probation

Hey guys...need some more help...so without getting into a soap oprah...my mechanic...who I have had a number of years...but am finally giving up on over tightened the housing and cracked it! So long story made short the thermostat is brand new on it...and it cracked around the bolt head...do I need a new thermostat or no? Reason I asked is bc when the car is moving it does fine and cools...but when its sitting in traffic not moving...slowly...slowly the temp continues to rise and rise above 230-240...with fan on...is the thermostat not able to really work properly bc it had fluid coming out of it obviously...and do I probably not need a thermostat replaced. I'm doing this job myself. I feel it does not need a new thermostat but I didn't know if for some way it is now damaged or something bc of the crack in the housing.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Thermostat is probably fine. If you really want to be sure, put it in a pot of water and heat the water up while monitoring it with a thermometer. You should be able to see it open up when it gets around the specified temperature.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:35 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by someone972
Thermostat is probably fine. If you really want to be sure, put it in a pot of water and heat the water up while monitoring it with a thermometer. You should be able to see it open up when it gets around the specified temperature.

Thanks a lot...so I'm no expert...but can you explain to me why a cracked thermostat makes cars over heat? Is it bc the system runs of pressure and since even though its a hairline crack the pressure is less...the car does not over heat at higher speeds or just riding around, only at extended stops...like for example sitting in a drive thru for a few minutes...then it heats up. I guess it also kinda throws off the thermostat and it does not open up properly etc...
Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

I hope you are putting in a 180 degree thermostat. And there is absolutely no need to tighten that housing down so much unless you are trying to cure a missing gasket or warped housing, which BTW won't work. Just make sure your housing is smooth and flat on the mating surface and use a good gasket like the FelPro one I mentioned. Tighten down til good and snug. Might want to make sure and clean the bolt threads and make sure they thread in well before even installing the thermostat. Relax a little. This is not tricky
Old 08-01-2017, 05:38 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by henryd3
I hope you are putting in a 180 degree thermostat. And there is absolutely no need to tighten that housing down so much unless you are trying to cure a missing gasket or warped housing, which BTW won't work. Just make sure your housing is smooth and flat on the mating surface and use a good gasket like the FelPro one I mentioned. Tighten down til good and snug. Might want to make sure and clean the bolt threads and make sure they thread in well before even installing the thermostat. Relax a little. This is not tricky

Ummmm the one they installed is a 195....so that's wrong. Isnt that the OEM one is 195...?
Old 08-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

The 195 is the stock temp. A lot of people put in the 180s without many issues; any cooler than that and you'll have to do some work on the chip. It shouldn't be necessary though. I assume you mean the housing was cracked and not the actual thermostat? It's not uncommon for these cars to get to 220 normal operating temp and up to 230 when sitting. If it keeps climbing you may want to look into the fan setup. If the upper radiator hose is nice and firm when it's fully warmed up the thermostat is probably fine. If you have the dual fan setup some people put a cooler switch in the block for the second fan, it usually only comes on with the A/C or at 240 or something crazy.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:54 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by someone972
The 195 is the stock temp. A lot of people put in the 180s without many issues; any cooler than that and you'll have to do some work on the chip. It shouldn't be necessary though. I assume you mean the housing was cracked and not the actual thermostat? It's not uncommon for these cars to get to 220 normal operating temp and up to 230 when sitting. If it keeps climbing you may want to look into the fan setup. If the upper radiator hose is nice and firm when it's fully warmed up the thermostat is probably fine. If you have the dual fan setup some people put a cooler switch in the block for the second fan, it usually only comes on with the A/C or at 240 or something crazy.
Thanks for the response and yes I read 238 a few times the right side fan comes on ...yeah well what do u recommend a 180 t stat or keep the 195 in It? And why?

Yes I also meahousing...I called hawk motorsports and they said it's kinda common for ppl to crack the housing putting the bolts on too tightly, I'm sure this was my case