Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Is My Coolant Temp Sensor Bad?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro IROC Z
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Is My Coolant Temp Sensor Bad?

I have a 1986 Camaro IROC Z TPI and for a while I have been having overheating problems when my car is in traffic (the fan is not coming on). I replaced the fan motor and the fan relay but that didn't seem to do anything.

Very recently my car has been idling very rough and wants to stall. Usually after I start driving and drive a few miles this goes away. I haven't found this symptom for our cars but for other cars such as a 90s Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Camry, etc.

Is this a bad coolant temp sensor? Also if it is, could this be why my fan still isn't coming on? (It doesn't come on when I turn on the AC, like it use to).

Also regarding replacing the coolant temp. I watched a video of a guy doing it on a 1989 IROC Z and my 1986 IROC has this big metal bracket that's attached to the top of my alternator. Could I take off this bracket and not have to worry about taking off the alternator or it falling off?
Old 08-25-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird
Engine: 2.8 v6
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Is My Coolant Temp Sensor Bad?

Hey Vin the fan should work two ways 1.by reaching temp and the fan relay activating the fan.2 when you turn the ac on it will automatically jump the fan and it should turn on.what you should check is the fan temp switch( forgot the actual name)but its a sensor in the block that reads the activating temp for the fan to cut on. should be passenger block in near the firewall.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:51 PM
On Probation

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed

Find anything new...whats the update so far?
Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by jeremyb1988
Find anything new...whats the update so far?
Sorry I haven't had much time to fool around. It was the first week of college starting up again and I am in between jobs again so I've been both filling out apps online and cold applying to small businesses in person with out much luck.

Anyway regarding the car, I brought a new coolant temp sensor and it looks like I do have to take bracket on top of the alternator off. It looks like someone bolted on with air because it will not budge with a ratchet. A buddy of mine does have air tools in his garage, when I get the chance I will see if he can let me use them.

Do to the rough idling that stated recently its very similar to other cars I have scene with bad coolant temp sensors.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by VerbalOne
Hey Vin the fan should work two ways 1.by reaching temp and the fan relay activating the fan.2 when you turn the ac on it will automatically jump the fan and it should turn on.what you should check is the fan temp switch( forgot the actual name)but its a sensor in the block that reads the activating temp for the fan to cut on. should be passenger block in near the firewall.
From what I can tell there is no fan switch on the block. I Googled what it looks like and my car doesn't seem to have one. If this is the switch you are talking about I don't see one. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...tch-small-.jpg

My fan worked for 4 years. It use to come on when I turned the ac on but then stopped very recently. I replaced the relay and the fan motor. I'm going to try the coolant temp sensor and hope that works.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:27 AM

Car: 86 firebird
Engine: 2.8 v6
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Yes that is the Thermal Switch i was talking about.i know the firebird and and camaro are close but they do have some differences and that may be one.Let us know of any results from the CTS install.the TPI engine may be set up to recieve all the Data From the Coolant Temperature Sensor
Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I believe there is a fuse for the fan system in the fuse panel. you may want to check that as the fan just stopped recently. I am not positive on the older TPI but I do know the newer models use 2 coolant sensors. The one you sent the link is the one in the head that only operates your gauge on the dash. There is another one in the front of the intake manifold, under the snorkel, right by the coolant bypass hose. This is the one that goes to the ECM. The ECM gets it's reading from this switch. The fan should come on with the A/C reguardless of engine temp. I would suggest you get a wiring diagram for your year and see if there is a fuse for the fans, I have heard the GM put some inline fuses in the power lines for the fans.

Search this Thread