Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/C condenser / radiator fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 155 Likes on 144 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!
A/C condenser / radiator fan

Ok, I’ve found a new odd problem, and I’ve searched but cant find anything relevant

My car has the cooling fan always running when the motor is running...I could not find out why but it always worked fine and with the ac on

today i found that the cooling fan runs when the car is started. Once the ac is turned on, the fan will turn off within a minute and the ac stops working . If i turn the ac off, the fan turns back on....of course.

i replaced the cooling fan relay by the front, the ac pressure switch in the hard line.

Any idea whats telling the fan to turn off?

I redid the ac recently and changed the comprssor and the sensor in the compressor....could that sensor have crapped out? Im not sure what it even does.

Thanks guys!

Car is 87 TPI 5.0
Old 08-26-2018, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8
Re: A/C condenser / radiator fan

If you are referring to 2nd electric fan. Pretty sure ac controls this
Old 08-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
If you are referring to 2nd electric fan. Pretty sure ac controls this

i only have the single fan...i cant figure it out

i tried several sensors in the gard line, the original, a napa and delco and all do the same thing

now... if i have the sensor unscrewed from the gard line and connected and ac on, the fan runs??? Lol im lost here
Old 08-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Try google third gen. Org ac fan issue. And other similar terms. I saw several threads on this issue
Old 08-28-2018, 12:31 AM
Supreme Member

Try google third gen. Org ac fan issue. And other similar terms. I saw several threads on this issue
I checked and they all lead to them selling the car and not resolving or the thred goes dead.

Im wondering if it has something to do with the ECM / PROM. So its like its reversed...the ac switches the fan off rather than turn it on.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

some wiring diagrams over here. see if anything clues you in: http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19
Old 08-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

some wiring diagrams over here. see if anything clues you in: http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19
thanks!

Yeah, I was looking at those but just gave up. I fguered I would just leave the sensor not connected,,,..I disconnected the battery but thought "what if I just need to reset the ECM ?"

Guess what?

So far the fan is running!

Old 08-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

ok when it is wired right with the AC off the cooling fan stays off in till the temp switch turns it on when it grounds, If you turn the AC on the fan comes on and stays on while the AC is on. It sounds like someone has wired the fan direct so it is on when the ignition is on and when you turn the AC on you are grounding it out which causes the ac to shut off. It is an easy fix. Find the relay mounting post and relay hopefully over by the passenger side firewall. There is usually two or three mounted in a row there. I usually find it by tracing back the pos wire from the fan. I understand that your wiring may be butchered, The PO may have wired the fan relay ground to ground instead of the the temp switch. He may have simply cut the pos wire to the fan and wired it to the ignition I hope not, or he may have wired in another relay. Or he may have done something else . In any case you can put it back stock or put in a fan temp control kit form the auto parts store, The advantage of going stock is the AC override will work.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mmadden55
ok when it is wired right with the AC off the cooling fan stays off in till the temp switch turns it on when it grounds, If you turn the AC on the fan comes on and stays on while the AC is on. It sounds like someone has wired the fan direct so it is on when the ignition is on and when you turn the AC on you are grounding it out which causes the ac to shut off. It is an easy fix. Find the relay mounting post and relay hopefully over by the passenger side firewall. There is usually two or three mounted in a row there. I usually find it by tracing back the pos wire from the fan. I understand that your wiring may be butchered, The PO may have wired the fan relay ground to ground instead of the the temp switch. He may have simply cut the pos wire to the fan and wired it to the ignition I hope not, or he may have wired in another relay. Or he may have done something else . In any case you can put it back stock or put in a fan temp control kit form the auto parts store, The advantage of going stock is the AC override will work.
I THINK my issue with the a/c is fixed for now, but yes, the fan remaining on whenever the motor runs remains.

I tried looking for butchered wiring everywhere, replaced the cooling fan relahy etc.. but it all looks stock and untouched. I tried disconnecting the fan switch on the passenger side and tried a differen one as wll but that fan stays on ALL the time.

Do you think they might have done some kind of PROM tune that makes the ECM keep the fan on al the time? 'm finding a few things here and there that were done, like a bigger trans pan, possibly a shift ki...those ugly big fat plug wires that don't really stay on the cap etc... My chances of bumping into the owner again are slim so Im open to any advice / suggestions here lol

Old 07-02-2021, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I found the issue i think 2 years later...Loooks liek i needed a new cooling fan relay connector!