Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Coolant Temperature Sender

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Temperature Sender

Hey boys I could really use some help on this coolant temp sender and gauge please. So I have a 1989 Iroc Camaro with a 5.7 Tuned Port Injected engine. Every since I have the had the car, the temp gauge has been reading inaccurately. Before I touched anything the temp gauge seemed to work but just on the initial drive. For example I would pull up to a gas station shut the engine off for 5 min or so and the gauge would read 100 degrees and stay there (when I know the engine was much hotter because I just got done driving her). So I replaced the temperature sending unit with what is a (TU66 sending unit from classic industries (the box says T-series part number TS76T) I have attached a photo of what sending unit is in there now. I replaced the pigtail with a standard female connector and replaced the gauge inside the car. Now the gauge "works" every time I turn off and back on but the readings are still off. For example she will read on the gauge that she's running at 250/260 (in the red) but when I use my infrared thermometer gun on the thermostat housing the gun reads 195-220 degrees. Any help regarding what I should do next would be awesome because I am out of ideas and really just want my factory temp gauge to be working properly. Thanks!