DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Possible fried ECM or What

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible fried ECM or What

Okay my TA just crap out again after putting all this stuff in it. It has has new spark plug and wires and new control module in distributor and all the other tune up parts. My car has done this twice now. Both times just like each time with the same problems. I also replaced the ECM a while back, before I toke it to the dealer for a fix on another problem.

I also have both style scanner with me. Quick one that reads lights on the dash of SES lights and a OTC monitor 4000E. The dash one reads just two codes (12 and 34) when plugging it up to the car. my other one reads 21 codes wrong.

13 02 ckt open, 14 cts ckt volt low, 15 cts ckt volt high, 21 tps ckt volts high, 22 tps ckt volts low, 23 mat/iat ckt error, 24 vss ckt error,25 mat/iat ckt error, 32 egt ckt error, 33 maf gm sec high, 34 maf gm sec low, 36 maf burn off ckt, 41 cyl select error, 42 est ckt error, 43 esc ckt error, 44 o2 lean, 45 02 rich, 51 mem cal error, 53 system volt error, 54 fuel pump volt error, 55 ecm error

I know that half of these codes cancel each other out also as you troubleshoot the system out. I have read the other post here but have not found one close to my problem yet. My TA has ran good up to the gas station to put some fuel in her and then it all happen again. The poping and the decreasing idle and then totally dead. Then it will start and run like a half throttle with no power or pick up and then like nothing happen to it at all.

I also have a new 305 TPI engine to go in her, but I would like to fix this problem once and for all. Any help would be great here.

Old 06-22-2003, 01:47 AM

updated ecm/ prom

Did the trouble shooting and have narrow it do to TSB on the prom I hope. My prom is AUM 0122 8291 the other numbers 18055375 and carrier number 68767 95065 2.

My TA has had from day one EGR codes from one time to another but never seemed to be EGR based in the past. I did change out both MAF sensors, MAF Burn-off and power relay which narrowed the codes down and I also had a spare MAF Sensor which I also changed too.

The codes that I now have are just 33 MAF Sensor error, 34 MAF Sensor low, 36 Burn-off diagnostic, 44 O2 Sensor low. All these codes are are not covered by the TSB but it fits the drivability troubles. Still trying to fix my TA if no new trouble starts off with it.

Still looking for other people who same trouble and what fixed their rides.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:20 AM

Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 355 C.I.
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
For starters, Have you looked for spark and or tried to add fuel ? Sprayed carb clean ecc... ? Anything at this point would be just a wildazz guess. See if it has spark. If it does, spray carb cleaner into the intake. Does it start ?

Hard codes or Soft ???

You need to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for a minute and then reconect. With scanner ( OTC 4000 ) disconnected. Now hook up the battery and then the scanner. Key on engine off with no attempt to start. Rescan...... If any codes are now shown they are hard codes... Problem area yet doesn't meam it'd keeping it from running. IF you get a massive amount of codes again then verify grounds especially but also power to the PCm and if it appears ok then try another PCM.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:41 PM

Spark and Fuel

The answer to the question is YES, it has spark and fuel flow to the engine. It just would not run with popping and missing and stalling out to the dead side. The codes are hard type and I did pull power via battery and also fuse block way on both car and scanner.

I can still get my TA to start but it will not run smoothly. It acts like it lacking power, hesitation, stall out and SES light. I can put it in limp mode and the TA runs fine with my SUN Scanner.

I was reading an acticle by another member about bugged PROM and TSB on them. This fits my problem to a tee. On the other side of this trouble I replaced my orginal MAF with another one and got the four codes I listed as 33 MAF Sensor Error, 34 MAF Sensor Low, 36 Burn-off Diagnostic, 44 O2 Sensor Low and I replaced with the orginal MAF and only got just two codes which are 34 MAF Sensor Low and 44 O2 Sensor Low. The same condition is still there as in trouble running. So which is the cause for the trouble? The ECM or the PROM?

My OTC Scanner manual only reads up till TSB number GM321. But my scanner list codes 328, 364, 388 these codes I think I can get from the dealer I hope or order a newer manual.

I'm still looking for other people that made this trouble.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:03 AM

Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 355 C.I.
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I think your heading in the wrong direction. You gotta maf problem more than likely. I be thinkong you need the correct info for diagnostics. and the letters tsb refer to technical service bullitens and not codes. good luck.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:57 PM

ECM and MAF Troubles

Yes, about MAF troubles now. I got another ECM with a PROM chip installed in it. I finally got my TA to stay ranning now. I swap out my other new MAF SENSOR with my orginal and the car did not ran right. Than I swap back to the orginal one with new PROM chip and my TA won't no start at all. Then I swap the orginal PROM and orginal ECM and the TA would do all the same stuff as before.

Then I swapped the new ECM with my orginal PROM from my orginal ECM and PROM and my TA rans but with codes 33 and 36 now. But the TA has a HARD set of codes now. I have new sensors for the burn-off relay and burn-off power relay and the MAF Sensor. I have used all in different combinations so far.

So that is where I'm at know. THe codes that I'm working with are MAF SENSOR low volts and MAF Burn-Off. My OTC Monitor 4000E Manual does not go up high enough in the codes for me to finish troubleshooting my trouble in the manual.

I still think I'm going in the right direction so far with what information I have available to me so far. It seem that a lot of people have had number of ran in with codes 33 and 36 here on this site. Just in closing another side question is why did the new PROM chip in the ECM I bought did not work in my TA. Its a HYPERTECH chip p/n 128 922 at least I thought that the chip would fix some of the trouble. But there that is I was thinking again!!!!

Old 06-25-2003, 01:23 AM

FIXED

I finally got my car though Maryland Emissions now. Here is the final things that I replaced. New parts MAF Burn-off relay, MAF burn-off power relay, MAF SENSOR. Recycled parts ECM: GOOD, MAF SENSOR BAD!!, PROM chip BAD!!

About the MAF SENSOR, I got a REBUILT one from Auto Zone, it was a BOSH unit the cost was about $150 plus tax. As for the WELLS unit they no longer carry that item, its list but not carried no longer. As for factory new the BOSH is cheaper at ADVANCE Auto Parts but with a one or two day turn around time.

As for the MAF, I had TWO bad ones, my orginal along with my spare that I brought a while back. Along with a DEAD ECM that failed the first part of the test on my scan tool which I still learning all the in's and out's on.

As for my TA its great to idle though the parking lots and set of those car and SUV alarms with that pure V8 sound which is music to my ear's.... Its nice to hear other that just jet engines all day at work and little engines that wine.....