DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

SES light's a no show

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
SES light's a no show

alrgiht, here's my deal, and i'm really hoping some of the guru's on this board can help. I was driving a couple weeks ago, leaving a hooters parking lot taking a friend to her house, and the car does a minor hesitation (off then on, no cranking required) i played it off, knowing i'd need to look at somethign in the future, but was hoping the car would get me through the night. I drive to her house, with a couple more stumbles on the highway, drop her off, turn around, go home. As i'm coming home, i have the same stumble issue on the highway, and the car dies once at a signal light, restarts, and i drive the rest of the way home and park the car. My thought on that trouble is "distributor issues" after the car would sit, it'd start back up just fine (overnight,) however, if the car was cold, and stumbled and died in my garage, the car woudln't immediately restart, and if i let it sit for say 20 minutes, it also wouldn't restart. Well, seeing how i would have the car sitting for a while, i decided i'd do my 4th gen dash swap, and after finishing the swap i noticed that my SES light wasn't coming on. So i thought, bulbs bad, but in a bulb that was good, no SES light, made sure i had wired it correctly and i had, still no SES light. So, i think, well, i'll hook up the ALDL and see if i get something on the obdI scanner, and that light also doesn't blink....now i'm thinking that while my one problem may be related to the distributor, i mgiht be having some ECM issues. Also, the car will start right now, i can put it to on, and crank, starts w/ no problems, actually seems like it should run perfectly, but then while driving for a few minutes, the hesitation will return, and eventually the car won't want to drive anymore. Can anyone help me? And an FYI, i was really stupid when i had taken the old dash out, not even thinking of electrical connectoins, and a plug which goes to a metal box touched the ECM prior to me removing the negative battery cable, i think i mighta fried it, but i'd think it would have popped a fuse first, yet every fuse i checked seems ok.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break
Maybe ?

Check your gas cap and fuel filter.
You might be pulling a vacuum and not getting fuel.
Just something off the wall I thought of when reading your post.
I'm sure it not related electrically, but that's usually when strange things happen. (ask Mr. Murphy)
JP
Old 06-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
well jp, i'm sure the gas cap is good, and it's definately getting fuel cause the car will run just fine, eventually it'll fish out though , and not run at all. I'll nearly guarentee it's electrical, or ignition related (a differetn form of electrical) but the no SES thing, is just plain akward.