DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

open/closed loop question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: TPI350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27s
open/closed loop question

Is torque converter lockup dependent on closed loop? I noticed the temp sensor for the ecm (between cyls 6 and 8 right?) isn't connected to anything (found a broken connector hangin on that side...). I checked to see if my car would get into closed loop at all, and aside from accelerating or decelerating I'm in open loop.

In addition, my car is throwing a code 13 (oxygen sensor circuit) and haynes says to check for stuck or misadjusted tps sensor (which I checked a few months back), wiring and connections from the oxygen sensor (might be getting a little hot next to my shorties), and replace the oxygen sensor (which I replaced a few months back). How many oxygen sensors to these cars have? single cat/dual cat make any difference?

Would it be possible that a problem with torque converter lockup is keeping my ecm in open loop? I'm tryin to figure out why I get ~13mpg, if I baby it or rag it, city or highway, no matter what I do. I'm gonna see if I can get a new coolant temp. sensor for the ecm (and wiring/connector if i need it) tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics up soon, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-03-2004, 06:30 AM

Received 217 Likes on 203 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
No, the TCC lockuop is not dependent upon closed loop operation. It is coolant temperature dependent though. This is the sensor in the top front of the intake manifold. Which is used by the ECM.

The sensor between 6 & 8 on the head is a fan switch.

Your setup has one O2 sensor. Check the left hand exhaust manifold, I think that is where it is. If not then check the pipes leading to the cat's.

RBob.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: TPI350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27s
Thanks for the response, RBob. I replaced the cts on the front of the intake (under the tbody) about 3-4 months ago. I replaced the thermostat (195* from a 180*) probably 7-8 months ago. The gauge in the cluster (whose sensor probably needs to be replaced) never goes past 220. When I replaced the exhaust (edelbrock shorties & y-pipe and dynomax catback w. no cat), I only found 1 oxygen sensor on the passenger side manifold. I installed it in my passenger side header (only place to put it).

What else could cause my computer to stay in open loop? and what are these things in the following pics:

this is from the passenger side, broken connector on the end.. does this go to the fan switch found here?:

and more wires/burnt connector I have no idea about:

this one has wires going in and out of the wiring harness with nothing between it except the connector... no idea what it does. what a pain in the a$$ it is to be the 3rd owner...

any help/opinions are appreciated. thx