DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Lost my ECM, don't know what I need

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost my ECM, don't know what I need

Okay, so I'm doing a V6 to V8 swap and I managed to lose my ECM.

So I stalk Ebay waiting for someone to be selling an ECM from an 85 305 carbed Firebird and manage to find one. I found that ECM number on site that said it was for an 85 305. I was sure the prob was solved

But this thing doesn't match my wiring harness. It has a connection on it that looks like the bottom of the card that went into a PC Jr (Half of a part of an ISA card).

I have a sqaure connector that comes from my standard trans. and a connector or two that comes from the drivers side part of the harness. I haven't been home for a few weeks, can't remmeber how many connectors, but I know they are sqaure or rectangle.

This is the ecm I got:
Ecm #1226865
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Anyone have some insight on what ECM I need? It's for a canadian(no smog stuff) 1985 305 non-H.O. carb, standard Firebird.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 216 Likes on 202 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
The ECM 1226865 is what is used for that vehicle in US trim. For a Canadian vehicle the ECM is most likely only used for TCC and the electronic distributor.

Does your vehicle use an O2 sensor?

I don't think this is much help. But it may help point you in the right direction. Need to get a Canadian vehicle ECM. Or convert to an older (centrif/vac) distributor and use a vacuum switch for TCC lockup.

RBob.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:55 AM

Yes, it uses an O2 sensor.

It's standard so I don't need a TCC lock-up. (Torque converter, OD right?) That connector that comes from the T5, is for reverse lights I believe.

Would there be a loss of MPG if I used an older distributor? Or any other benefits?

I'll look for an canadian ecm and see if it exists.

thanks
Old 10-27-2004, 12:30 AM

Thought I'd update this old tread since my new pet peeve is unresolved threads I find when searching.

I'm a dumbass.....

too much time passed between stripping the donor car and putting it all in mine. I got a contract out of town and was tring to do work on the thing every other weekend when I has home and party hard at the same time.

My donor car didn't have a computer (no air pump, non-cc carb and dist). Two of the harnesses I thought went to a computer went to each other. the other went to the cruise control (if it was there). There isn't an oxy sensor on my LG4 y-pipe, I was out of town, and could of sworn I seen one....must a been the V6 one I was thinking of..

If your car was sold in Canada, and didn't have FI and the car didn't have an air pump: You most likely don't have an ECM.

I started up the V8 last weekend. It started almost right away. and after setting the lash it sounded awesome with the new 3" pipes and dynomax muffler I put on a day before V6 blew almost a year ago. So, i'm proud of myself right now.