DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Is this the right ECM for my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this the right ECM for my car?

I believe I have finally found the ecm for my car under the passenger side dash. I am having issues with my car, I have to charge my battery. But, before the battery was dead the car was idling high, said it had a bad maf sensor, burnoff, and the exhaust smelled very rich. I noticed it said remanufactured on the label.

SVC# 16198259
FACTORY AUTHORIZED REMANUFACTURED MODULE FOR DELCO ELECTRONICS CORP
MADE IN: US

Can somebody PLEASE help me out here. Btw, my car is a 1988 IROC-Z TPI 350. I assumed maybe the car was running in limp mode because of the rich gas smell coming from the exhuast.

Thanks, Nick
Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Re: Is this the right ECM for my car?

I have just done some research, and it appears on these cars that a bad maf sensor will cause the car to go into limp mode. Well... a while back when I took the DTC's it only had code 34 and code 36. So I assume my car IS in limp mode. I can unplug the maf sensor with the car idling(High might I add ~ 1000 RPM) And it doesn't effect it the slighest. I read that that would point to a bad maf.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The 16198259 ECM is supposed to be the correct one for your vehicle.

If you unplug the MAF sensor the ECM will create an airflow value from the engine RPM and TPS%. This is not limp mode, but a default mode.

If your engine is stock and the ECM is tossing code 34 then the MAF may be bad. However,isn't code 36 a burn-off DTC? If so, then fix that first, the MAF may still be good.

Open the air ducting so the MAF wires can be seen. Start and run the engine for a minute then shut it off. At shut off the MAF wire should glow orange for a couple of seconds. That is the burn off. No glow, burn off bad. Dirt builds up on the MAF wires and DTC34 is also thrown.

Note that the MAF harness connector can also cause these same issues.

RBob.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

Also check the fuse and fusible link near the battery, that's ECM constant power. It also powers the fuel pump though, so if your fuel pump is working, that's probably not the issue. I wouldn't rule out a bad ECM though, I had 2 bad ones, one of them also had a reman sticker on it.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:09 AM

I have finally gotten my battery charged. I tried the car today and it started up after a couple tries. I still think the car is in limp mode b/c when I turned the ignition to run, the SES light just stayed solid, and when I started it the car idled at ~1200 RPMs as well as the SES light flashed continuously when the car was running. How can I tell if the memcal is right for the vehicle?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

With the way the SES is acting the ECM just may be bad. With the engine running rap ont eh ECM with the handle of a screwdriver (or similar). If things change (SES, the way the engine runs, etc.) then the ECM is toast.

For the MEMCAL, there is a 4 letter code on it. Most likely on a small silver label on the PROM. Post back the 4-letter code.

RBob.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM

The 4 letter code on the MEMCAL looks to be ABYA. Also, I tried letting the ecm rest outside of the dash and start the car, with it idling, I tapped on the ecm to no avail. It did not change the solid ses light or the idle of the car, they both stayed the same. Thanks man