DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

crank fired backfire problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crank fired backfire problem

I am having a backfire problem with my recently fuel injected s10. Anytime I mash the throttle off of idle it will backfire instantly but will then rev fine. When cruising it will backfire and pop a lot. I am clearly down on power.

I installed a crank trigger system on my 350, it's a blue print specialties engine with not too many miles on it. Some highlights are,

megasquirt 2 v3.57
36-1 trigger wheel
Hall effect sensor
d585 coils
stealt ram intake
supercoupe 32lb high z injectors
LS fuel filter/regulator
Taylor spiral core wire
coils remotely mounted

I have checked the timing with a light, checked all the exhaust connections, checked the wiring to everything multiple times, tried new coils, tried placing them in the stock location and using stock wires. I have tried everything I can think of but I have not been able to solve the backfire. I am at the point now where I am ready to pull the crank trigger off and install a HEI ignition just to simplify things.

i feel that I have my VE table close, atleast close enough that it shouldn't be causing a backfire. The Accell Enrich setting are the only thing I am unsure of. I have cut it back so far so I really don't thin they are the cause.

I set the valve lash, but I am worried it's possibly too tight. The backfire is consistent if I mash the throttle off of idle, and while cruising it will consistently backfire. When I rev it in park it does not backfire through the entire rpm range.

Does this sound like a valve adjustment problem? any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 91dime; 08-02-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: crank fired backfire problem

Has anyone used megasquirt and holleys efi systems? I am considering going to Holley for the better customer support, and their system looks more user friendly compared to megasquirt.