DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Looking for help. Holley MPI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for help. Holley MPI?

Hey guys, Hope some one here can lend a hand.
I bought one of these older MPI Pro Jection systems, but it was missing a few things. The seller said there was a diagram for wiring, well not really.

I have a 210482 MPI ECU

I would love to get a detailed wiring schematic or at least a Good Photo of the connector on the ECU showing wire colors.

Second. He sent me software Version 3.35 Problem is that Disk 1 and 3 are damaged.

Does anyone have a copy of that older Software??

Please and thank you Much if you can help.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: n/a
Transmission: n/a
Axle/Gears: 3.27, I think
Re: Looking for help. Holley MPI?

Here's a couple different Pro-jection manuals.

Pro-jection 1D
http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_r9895-3.pdf

Pro-jection 2D
https://ac17cb7e3cc3506f0d23-7386afb...9777-6rev2.pdf

Pro-jection 4D
http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_r10022.pdf
Old 01-03-2015, 11:34 PM

Hey, thanks a bunch for those. Unfortunately None of them show the Connection to the ECU that I have, or a pinout for the wiring.

I have the MPI manual that came with the system. BUT the Schematic is really vague on the pinout connections to the ECU.
Even a good close up couple of photos that show wire colors and or positions would really help me out.
The First Pic is MY ECU
the Second is a 4D box that hat the Connector I need. Its black has 3 rows of flat pins. and is quite large.

Also if Anyone knows what the name of this connector is I would love to know. So I can order one to make my harness.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for help. Holley MPI?-mpi.jpg   Looking for help. Holley MPI?-4d.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 AM

PM, anesthes on here and see if he can help you. He talked about pro-jection a few years ago. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-...olley-mpi.html
Old 01-04-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by robotic_junky
PM, anesthes on here and see if he can help you. He talked about pro-jection a few years ago. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-...olley-mpi.html
Awesome. Thank you. I have done just that.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:39 PM

Some Progress Made!! The Connector is a 36 Way Econoseal III By AMP
Now Some Pictures of the Wiring of a Existing Connector and I am on my way to making a new Harness
Old 01-05-2015, 11:00 PM

Well Struck out with anesthes. He has sold or disposed of this ECU stuff long ago.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:59 PM

Try talking to Holley and see it they can find the info that you want.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 AM

I have, a few times. Mostly got the run around, Old system ect... No Documentation, We do sell a newer ECU...
Old 08-09-2015, 01:09 AM

Any luck with software and wiring? Would a 4di harness work with this ecu? I am kinda going through same thing as you.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM

I was having the same problem. I have a MPI Pro-jection CPU only. Thanks for putting the connector information up, so it's my turn to pay back. I know the thread is a little old but this is what I have so far.

As of this posting this is untried but I will be posting up here and the holley forums when I try it out.

Emailing Holley support I was given a copy of the manual, but I got this first. This is from a 4Di system that a cool guy gave me over the phone. This is the wire colors coming from the CPU.

LEFT TO RIGHT

TOP ROW
WHITE WITH BLUE
GREEN WITH BLACK
PURPLE WITH BLUE SPIRAL
YELLOW
BLACK
ORANGE
BROWN
WHITE
YELLOW (SMALL GAUGE)
RED (SMALL GAUGE)
BLUE (SMALL GAUGE)
ORANGE WITH RED STRIPE

MIDDLE ROW
WHITE WITH GREEN
WHITE WITH BROWN
PURPLE WITH BLACK
PURPLE WITH WHITE
BLUE WITH RED
RED (LARGE DIAMETER)
SOLID BLUE
SOLID GREY
YELLOW WITH RED
SOLID BLACK
Lt ORANGE (FLESH TONE, SMALL DIA)
SOLID GREEN (SMALL DIA)

BOTTOM ROW

WHITE WITH RED
SOLID BLACK
PURPLE WITH YELLOW
BLUE WITH WHITE
SOLID BLACK (LARGE DIA)
BLACK WITH WHITE (SMALL DIA)
SOLID GREEN
DARK ORANGE WITH BLACK
YELLOW WITH BLACK
GREEN (SMALL DIA)
YELLOW (SMALL DIA)
BROWN (SMALL DIA)

This system is batch fired.

Going to Holley's website and downloading the 4Di manual will help. The 4Di is just the throttle body version that came out first same computer, but it does have a different chip in the MPI version. Don't know if it can be made to use on a throttle body or not yet.

The did email me a version of the MPI manual. It's copyright is 1998. I am going to get a scanned copy of the whole thing up soon. Here are some shots of the wiring diagram.

I hope this hasn't come too late. I have been digging for over a year myself for this info.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:57 PM

Wiring diagram from the MPI manual.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/safjist_nipnog/, on Flickr

I will post more on it and my findings when I can.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Here are a few shots I got from a few guys helping me though the web. This is from a 4Di unit.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:34 PM

Actually You have NO idea how much that helps. I have had this project shelved for a long time because I couldn't find the information I needed. This has helped greatly.

At Least I can power the unit and see if I can communicate with it through the PC.

If you have access to the harness though, one thing that would help is to actually get the "pinouts for the ECU connector.

Like top row pin 1 connects to this plug, ect...

I know that is a long shot and it will take a long time to do.

I am going to attempt a com with this unit asap. I am going to assume that the "small dia" wires are part of the COM and Cal pack harness so going from that I am hoping that the Yellow black and Green wires are to the Serial port. (Bottom Row) Now to find power and System Ground...

I was also able to find the 3 Disks for the programming Software if you need them. I just have to find them again LOL
Also I am posting the Manual I got from Holley
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
4DI MPI.pdf (655.5 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by TvLover; 04-26-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by TvLover
Actually You have NO idea how much that helps. I have had this project shelved for a long time because I couldn't find the information I needed. This has helped greatly.

At Least I can power the unit and see if I can communicate with it through the PC.

If you have access to the harness though, one thing that would help is to actually get the "pinouts for the ECU connector.

Like top row pin 1 connects to this plug, ect...

I know that is a long shot and it will take a long time to do.

I am going to attempt a com with this unit asap. I am going to assume that the "small dia" wires are part of the COM and Cal pack harness so going from that I am hoping that the Yellow black and Green wires are to the Serial port. (Bottom Row) Now to find power and System Ground...

I was also able to find the 3 Disks for the programming Software if you need them. I just have to find them again LOL
Also I am posting the Manual I got from Holley

That is the same manual they sent me.

I plan on starting back on this in the next few days when I am off tower at work. I am making my own pin out diagram but with the drawing in the last page of the manual, a few references in the manual, the wire size and color given to me on the phone and these pictures i have collected i think I can get it done.

I would like a copy of the software you have. I downloaded the 4di software Holley has on there website but haven't been able to see if its too new to communicate with it yet.

I was going to go ahead and order the terminal plug for the connector but decided to wait until I have test fired it first.

My ECU number is 210570
Old 04-27-2017, 10:43 PM

I will dig into my old Hard Drive for the Software. I know I seen it in the last month or so. So I know I still have it. My Disks are the 4Di version 3.35 But My ECU stated it was programmed with version 3.1 at one time.

Yes i agree looking into the colors and size I feel we can guess most of what the pins go to. I will print off the photo of the ECU connector (Blow it up) label the pins and try to do a pin to connection comparison to the Schematic.

Last edited by TvLover; 04-28-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:13 PM

This is what I came up with for the Harness.
Please correct if you find errors.
The Zip File contains a Open Office Document (Need open Office)

I just edited this 5/14/2017 to reflect a few changes in the pinouts.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Holley Worksheet1.zip (33.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by TvLover; 05-14-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:33 PM

Here is MY Software I got with the system
Attached Files
MPI.zip (4.04 MB, 17 views)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:37 PM

Holley Software of some type IDK
Attached Files
Holley EEV 3.1.zip (3.04 MB, 21 views)
Holley EEV 3.3.zip (2.98 MB, 17 views)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 PM

Holley 4Di Software Plus Maps
Attached Files
disk1.zip (1.34 MB, 22 views)
disk2.zip (1.36 MB, 13 views)
disk3.zip (1.27 MB, 12 views)
maps.zip (17.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Alright! I have made some more progress, I have been able to read the ECU on a win98 PC using the diagram I made. I received a lot of help from a fellow on Ebay that has one of these systems for sale. Seems like a stand up person. He was able to confirm the RS232 pinout and it is indeed what I listed it as. So that much is correct. And that also means that the power and Ground I listed is also right. Off to a good start.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 PM

Alright! I have made some more progress, I have been able to read the ECU on a win98 PC using the diagram I made. I received a lot of help from a fellow on Ebay that has one of these systems for sale. Seems like a stand up person. He was able to confirm the RS232 pinout and it is indeed what I listed it as. So that much is correct. And that also means that the power and Ground I listed is also right. Off to a good start.
Sounds good. I have been working on my own diagram. I will compare what you have with what I have done. I started working on a temp harness last night. I will plug it up soon to see if I can get mine to power in and give info back. The only laptop I brought with me to read the PC was freshly loaded with XP before I left the house. If it went read it i will have to break out the M34 one with 2000 the other with 98 to see if they will read it.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 AM

I was also able to get my win10 X64 PC to read data from the ECU, of course you need to use the EEV33 with NO installer because the setups will not work in anything new, But run it as admin and make sure you have the proper COM port click receive map and it should come up.
Also a note: I have the EEPROM 4Di_v332 base8MPI So the older EEV31 will not work with my ECU.
Here is a PDF with the info
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
510-534-117.pdf (85.8 KB, 112 views)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:23 PM

I am only getting a hour or so to work on this when I get off work on the rig. It looks like you tried to match up everything with the MPI harness diagram. That read out from the ECU is from a 4Di and is slightly different from the MPI diagram. We are going to have to match it with the really vague Holley diagram in the 4Di manual first. Then swap / convert that to the MPI diagram. I have even had to use part of the commander diagram for one connector.

For example the first one white/blue wire on the 4Di book is for fuel injectors. But on the MPI diagram there are two different white/blue wires. One to injector harness and one to the calibration module. They are not connected in the diagram. So there are slight changes but the main power wires seem the same for sure.

The 4Di book (pages 17,18 and 19) are so vague on some things the round fuel injector harness plug for the throttle body only has wire colors listed. With no A B C D E listed. But I know they used the same throttle body on the commander 950 series so looking up that manual they use the same color wires and it has the A B C D E pin out on that in the commander manual. So have been trying to double and triple check everything.

So you don't have to look that up on the 4Di injector harness breakdown it's

Red B
white/blue C
White/red E
White/brown A
White/green D

If you want to look at the picture of it your self for reference page 113 of the commander 950 harness.

What pins did you use on your DB9 plug to your laptop? I found the pin out from the commander 950 on the serial port and figured it may be similar.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:00 PM

RS232 pins are Pin 2 3 and 5 on the DB9 connection.
Pin 2 goes to pin 10 bottom row GREEN (SD)
Pin 3 goes to Pin 9 Top Row YELLOW (SD)
Pin 5 goes to Pin 10 Middle Row (Black) Ground
Old 05-02-2017, 10:47 PM

The RS232 image is not mine, and it is a bit hard to understand, the image needs to be flipped to line up right, and it may also need to be inverted, Not sure. (on the ECU pinout) the DB9 is upside down for sure, and I think he flip flopped the pins, but Black is top row pin 5 for reference.

Also these photos are from a MPI system, the one on Ebay right now. The seller was kind enough to take photos. From what I compared, it matches the 4Di system schematics.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for help. Holley MPI?-mip1.jpg   Looking for help. Holley MPI?-mpi2.jpg   Looking for help. Holley MPI?-rs232.jpg  
Attached Files
hondo.zip (333.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 AM

More Progress!!! We do need all 4 Injector wires. Each wire drives 2 injectors.
White/Red Drive Injectors 1 and 2
White/Green Drive Injectors 3 and 4
White/Brown Drive Injectors 5 and 6
White/Blue Drive injectors 7 and 8

I called Holley today and was able to get some information from a long time employee about how they drive the Injectors, and he said it is indeed a batch fire system, BUT they used smaller injector Drivers in the ECU so compared to a GM unit (these use only 2 wires) this is the reason it has 4 wires.!!!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM

More Progress!!! We do need all 4 Injector wires. Each wire drives 2 injectors.
White/Red Drive Injectors 1 and 2
White/Green Drive Injectors 3 and 4
White/Brown Drive Injectors 5 and 6
White/Blue Drive injectors 7 and 8

I called Holley today and was able to get some information from a long time employee about how they drive the Injectors, and he said it is indeed a batch fire system, BUT they used smaller injector Drivers in the ECU so compared to a GM unit (these use only 2 wires) this is the reason it has 4 wires.!!!!!
Sounds good. As you know I hit the snag on mine where it had a older chip and I need the older software to work. I was able to find a chip with software cheap and it will be at my house tomorrow. I won't get home from work until later Thursday. I will be swapping it in and testing it out now that I know my test harness works. If that works it will be time to order my 36 plug connector. I am still going to look for that older software. I emailed Holley, the same guy who sent me the manual to see if they still had the older software. Still no reply from him yet.

Last edited by ADOR; 05-09-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 PM

So far the wiring diagram is spot on. I have wired in the IAC, AIC, TPS, MAP, and coolant Temp. All working.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:39 PM

OK, I think I have a more or less complete harness now.

Now the real test, If Holley was correct in there labeling for the GM Computer controlled Distributor. I called and asked again today and was informed I was correct. Not sure how to test this without having it installed on a engine though....
Attached Thumbnails Looking for help. Holley MPI?-harness_mine.jpg  
Old 05-13-2017, 07:19 PM

For me I have made it home from work, I installed the 3.31 version chip I got on Amazon. It was suppose to come with software, no software. I got to message them about that. As the PDF says the 3.38 software won't work, the older software you posted and I get the same message I got on the old prom chip. "you need a older version of the software"

I will be drawing up a new plan to get that done. I was going to test it on my 52, but now it looks like until I get it straight I will be installing the Commander 950.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:46 PM

I still have a bunch of testing to do, One thing is to see if the injectors are working or if they are stuck from sitting. I plan to have this setup fired on the motor stand before I ever attempt a install. I still need to buy a O2 sensor harness pigtail (the 3 wires on the left rear in the photo) and I noticed there is a undocumented "Grey" wire that should be the knock sensor. I am going to buy a new one and test if that is actually the proper pin for that. (there is a provision in the Software for Knock Sensor) So I hope the ECU can use one.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Facebook Post

I hope that works. My MPI is indeed working.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 PM

It is installed, it is a task to get things to function properly..... I have so little real knowledge of this system and how to tune..... I have it running OK for the most part, startup is a bit tough, it cranks forever before firing but when it finally does it runs fairly smooth. I am using my wideband to adjust the fuel injection volume so it it not so far off. Map view really helps there.

But I have i BIG issue and I am unsure what it is. Around 3500 or so on a WOT pull it acts like it just shuts off the ECU. Goes from revivng great to stalled out for a few seconds then comes back on and continues revving till the rev limiter. This is in 1st gear so it is not shifting. Twice the engine just died out all together and I had to restart.

It is acting like I have a faulty injector but I Ohmed them all and there all at about 15 Ohms. 1 is a bit lower about 14.5. I say this because my last TPI setup I had bad injectors and it did the same thing but it killed the ECU and stalled the Engine whenever it got a good load on it and forced a re-start. (But this was a factory GM ECU also)