DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

My final thought....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA
To save people from scrolling all the way back through the post, here is my the VE Tables for a Miniram, ported Al ZZ3 heads and stock cam to compare it the TPI VE Table.
Could you do that again but in some text form?.
TIA
Old 04-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 87400tpi
.Keep in mind I've got a little over 3 years in the game.

In a way I wish I had my maf setup still.Maf has alot more upsides than downsides.SD is about even,there is more downsides than maf.
I realize that when you take the time to retune the fuel tables SD will be more precise,in the end.

But nobody can seem to find the code to correct mph after gear change for maf(last time I checked).The little amounts of maf proved to be fatal,for me.I'de rather repin for SD than pay for a $100+ for a new maf.Unless the maf was covered in gold.

There is alot of maf mythes.I ask can a maf car go faster than 12 sec.I got tore to shreds more or less,the general responses was I could run fast but at a great loss. Basically they said why waste my time,that is stupid to even try.Now ski is knocking on 10s door,the mood has shifted on maf.Hmmm
It's really difficult to form proper responses when you run so many topics together, some of the items you mention have been covered before, and while valid are still even material for threads never mind a simple response. But since you want to continue running the material into one thread that covers so much, again here are abreviated replies.

3 years?.
I'm working on 12 and a good part of that has been full time.

If you want to run MAF then do it.
You mention the $100 the sensor, well, if you love it so much that's part of the game.
You comment of SD being more precious says it all. To even continue from that is, for what real purpose?. Getting the tune precious is what makes HP.

Gear change?.
As in 1-2 gear changes, or final drive gear changes.
Changing final gearing means changing the AE stuff, been done a million times.

Which myths are you talking about?.
If your specific, the they can be discussed.

Last night at Muncie there were 3 GNs. Two running mid 10s with F.A.S.T. ecms. And a 3rd one ran a 8.9 with the stock ecm, and stock MAF.
Would the 3rd car run faster with a MAP?. Probably not. But, it was his agenda that he wanted to do things his way.
You, he, them, if you want to run MAF then by all means do it. But to say it's better, is pointless.

If you want to have more MAF threads, then by golly start some.
Again, one subject at a time gets better responses.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Originally posted by Grumpy
Could you do that again but in some text form?.
TIA
How about a graph of the difference VE? The "red area" shows where the Miniram had a higher VE than the TPI. The "blue area" shows where the Miniram had a lower VE than the TPI.

If you sincerly want "data", I can "cut and paste" into an Excel file. But Thirdgen won't let me attach it.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:19 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Darn, I forgot to attach the graph.
Attached Thumbnails My final thought....-ve-diff.jpg  
Old 04-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 years?.
I'm working on 12 and a good part of that has been full time.
This aint no pizzin contest.It is quite possible I know things you don't.Everyone here knows your place "in the game".I have much respect for your work ,Bruce.

If you want to run MAF then do it.
You mention the $100 the sensor, well, if you love it so much that's part of the game.
You comment of SD being more precious says it all. To even continue from that is, for what real purpose?. Getting the tune precious is what makes HP.
If you read I had maf.I switched to SD because it is more precise and my maf went out.I never said I want to do anything.

Gear change?.
As in 1-2 gear changes, or final drive gear changes.
Changing final gearing means changing the AE stuff, been done a million times.
that's why I prefer SD,I want to have the most control over engine functions.Even though maf can calculate ve by itself,in the end it's just an computed educated calculation of ve.I would rather be able to go cell by cell computing manually the hard data verifying ve.

Which myths are you talking about?.
If your specific, the they can be discussed.
If you read,not skim over what I said you'll see a couple of bogus myths.

Last night at Muncie there were 3 GNs. Two running mid 10s with F.A.S.T. ecms. And a 3rd one ran a 8.9 with the stock ecm, and stock MAF.
Would the 3rd car run faster with a MAP?. Probably not. But, it was his agenda that he wanted to do things his way.
You, he, them, if you want to run MAF then by all means do it. But to say it's better, is pointless.
Stop the presses,did you just say someone stated maf was better???Rhetoric like that just does'nt help.Why do think someone is telling you maf is better???
Old 04-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 87400tpi
This aint no pizzin contest.It is quite possible I know things you don't.
So why did you mention time doing chips?.

Possible?, sure, lets start hearing them.
So far I haven't seen you post one item that backs up any one claim of yours.

You mention myths, OK, again lets be specific, mention one and we'll go from there.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Grumpy

Possible?, sure, lets start hearing them.
So far I haven't seen you post one item that backs up any one claim of yours.

You mention myths, OK, again lets be specific, mention one and we'll go from there.

Grumpy, enough is enough.
I have never seen more mis information come from anybody than you.

Comments like your post about EGR needing more fuel is just the tip of the bad information iceberg.

Another was telling people that they can just change the injector driver to run peak/hold injectors by seeing what the Sy-Ty board did. It was wrong information. There are more changes involved than just the driver.
You need to change the current sample resistors also. Otherwise you are just doing 6 amp peak, 1.4 amp hold across 3 or 4 injectors.

You apparently don't know the first thing about how the ECM/PCM
code works.

You obviuosly don't know the startup fueling routine on ECM's as to whether hardware or software is used.

It is model and year dependent. The line about Maf being used for startup over speed density because map is too rich and has no manifold vac is B.S.
So what is a crank BPW or Prime pulsewidth? Which system (maf or map) is it used on? What year?

You may be able to tune a few things by guessing and changing chips but that is about it.

Your comment about table resolution relating to Map of Maf is wrong. You obviously don't know how to calculate Maf or Kpa/bit AD resolution or Msec/bit Maf resolution. You just plain don't know how the 2D,3D tables work. Or let alone how to change the table resolution and scaling.

I want you right here, right now to explain how the table math works. Show me how the code gives you X number of bits per row or cell by using commented code.
Stop giving people bits and pieces of bad guesswork.

Show me how to change a 12x13 3D table to a 17x17. Or even a 33x33 table.

I also want you to post how the ECM calculates rpm, and then how it calculate airflow.

If you can do all of that, then you are qualified to tell people what to do and where they are wrong. Otherwise your comments are no more valid than the other guys.

If not, then stop giving out bad guesswork information and stop talking down to people.

Need4speed
Old 04-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Banned

Because I have someone telling to read a newbe doc.I deserve respect like anyone else here.But you though I was showing my dix so you whipped yours out.Nice assumtion
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stop the presses,did you just say someone stated maf was better???Rhetoric like that just does'nt help.Why do think someone is telling you maf is better???
Why did you not respond to this?This is a valid issue and indicitive of the atmoshere here by some.
BUT the talk of some person saying 255 in the maf tables=total flow of maf=limit to around 400hp for maf.The maf tables "gr/sec"bin column is a calculation NOT any indication of actual air flow that can be contorted to a hp limit for the maf system.That is just ludicris,as ski_down_it has demonstrated.I could find that post about the 255gr/sec+?=max airflow/hp.
there is on propigated by you,address it.

Last edited by 87400tpi; 04-18-2003 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Banned

Grumpy

CFM x .5663 = Grams/sec

255 gms/sec = 450 CFM

Another little piece of math

1.3 CFM / HP

At 350 HP your of resolution,
thou, you can hammer the calibration to get more, but that's tough on the engine. And can be a nightmare to get the BLs right on it.
Address that,there is your "hard data".I'm willing to discuss logically but I don't need someone telling me to read tuning 101.So there it is boys ,almost as bad as the iraqi minister of information.All jokes aside I think ski has proven this one a bust.