DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Newbie tuning questions, ZZ430 with '92 TA 16198262 ECM

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Fiero GT
Engine: ZZ430 Ram-Port
Transmission: 5-speed M282, SPEC Stage III clutch
Newbie tuning questions, ZZ430 with '92 TA 16198262 ECM

Hey everyone,

Glad I found this board, it appears to be a great resource for all things TPI. I've been taking some time to read up and was very impressed by the amount of knowledge that's here. The Internet appears to be the best thing that's ever happened to the hotrodder world, as the level of information sharing has become limitless and this board is a prime example of it. I hope you guys can be a little patient with me and offer some of your sage advice on my setup. So far I've discovered the flashable chip, and I am going to check to see if I already have it and if not I'll be ordering one. I also read that S/D ECMs go into closed loop at WOT, is that true of this one too or just the earlier ones like the 7730?

I have a '92 Trans Am ECM, 16198262 running speed-density on a ZZ430 crate engine which I bought complete from Street & Performance with a custom intake for this engine's high-RPM breathing needs. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this engine. The ECM has a generic-burn program in it for this motor's specs, but it is definitely not dialed in as it only seems to be making about 360hp right now. It shouldn't be difficult to make as much power with EFI as with a carb, and this thing has done 441hp with a 750 Holley.

I am looking for software I can run on my laptop which will let me watch all the things that are going on in my engine and log the data for offline analysis. As I'm still learning about computer tuning, I was also hoping for software which could analyze a data log and make recommendations on recalibration, but that may be a pipe dream. I know that Block Learn is supposed to be right around 128 for optimum air/fuel, but that's about it. It seems like that's about the most important thing to know. What other stuff is important and what does it mean, like O2 crosscounts and BLM? I know what all the sensors are and what they do, but this "inside the ECM" terminology is still a little unclear to me.

As far as software goes, I looked at WinALDL but it does not appear to support the 16198262 ECM. If I'm mistaken on this someone please correct me because I've heard so much about it. I have a friend who is helping me build a cable, but that won't do me much good if I have an unsupported ECM for the popular software that's out there.

I will probably get into burning my own programs eventually, but my goal right now is really to figure out how to get the power from this engine that's supposed to be there already, and then I can work on finding more later.

Lastly, I am cash-strapped from all the money it's taken so far to build this car ($30k and counting) and I need to keep my additional costs to a minimum - but this seems to be the point of DIY-EFI in the first place.

Thanks all,
Dave
Old 05-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
16198262 is just a remanufactured 730, with a few goodies inside to make it more of a universal replacment. So anything that works on a 730 will work on your's.

WOT is a special condition.
It's not using direct feed back from the O2 sensor so it is not closed loop, but in some applications, the ecm can used learned corrections from closed loop.

Normally WOT is just considered Open Loop.

Being able to figure out where your at with you injectors Duty Cycle is one area you need to figure out before going to far to make sure you have enough injector to even get to your goals.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Fiero GT
Engine: ZZ430 Ram-Port
Transmission: 5-speed M282, SPEC Stage III clutch
Thanks for your reply, Grumpy. I have 24.9# LS1 injectors with an LT4 regulator. Pressure sits at about 38 at idle.