DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

tunercat questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 11:13 AM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
tunercat questions

OK, I've done alot of reading on this site and others and have read 3 books on EFI.

I've order the pocket programmer and a UV eraser from Digikey yesterday and they should arrive on Friday Feb 2.

The other main piece to this puzzle is to be able to edit the EPROM bin program with tunercat.

On the tuneract web site there are to things, one is called the "tuner" the other is "TDFEditor. Do I need both of these or just the "tuner"? It also appears that I down load this stuff and send them a check. Can someone explain what I need from tunercat.com?

Also, I have 4 memcals: factory, Hypertech, SLP, and custom CarPro. I do not want to change the factory or CarPro chips. The CarPro chip is close to what I need, but from my scanner, I think that 5 to 10% more fuel under WOT conditions is needed. How many times can the hypertech or SLP EPROMS be erased and re-programmed?

Does anyone have any comments on this matter?

TIA,
Doc

------------------
'87 L98 TPI IROCZ, AFR190 heads, 3.70 gears, ZZ9 cam, 2400 Art Carr TC, SLP 1 3/4" headers, SLP cat-back, no cat, no AC, no MAF screens, Accel manifold base & SuperRam, Edelbrock double roller timing chain, MSD ext coil & distributor, trans cooler, 52mm TB with airfoil, TB coolant bypass, AFPR(58psi), K&N filters, Hotchkis lowering springs, Car-Pro custom chip, Lay Ind. ram air kit, 265/45R16 Kumho V700 tires.
ET 13.39sec @ 107.21mph
'90 Eagle Talon AWD, no rust thru 9 winters
'99 Camaro SS, red, 6-spd, T-tops, Mcleod clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, MAF processor, Direct Flow airlid, K&N filter.
313.7Hp & 320.6ft-lbf, ET 13.55sec @ 105.1mph
next mod: 4.10 rear gears
Old 02-01-2001, 11:32 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Hey Doc, long time no see. TunerCat is the program that you will need to edit the BINS. You must request the proper TDF file for you car. I used Paypal to order mine and put a note that I wanted the 8D.TDF for my car and they e-mialed me the proper TDF with my registration key.

However, it appears that TunerCat may have changed their policy and are now charging people an extra $20.00 for the TDF if you want one other than the 42.tdf that comes with the trial offer. Everyone that has ordered via check/mail has had to pay this extra $20.00 and GMTech said he was asked when he used Paypal. Just warning you that Paypal may not get you the free TDF anymore.

TDF Editor is to modify the TDF, either an existing TDF or creating your own. Depending which ecm you have, some of the TDFs are better defined than others. TunerCat seems to be pretty good on "updating" TDFs as time goes along, but if you want a specific constant, switch or table in your TDF that you know exists (via the "hack") but does not exist on the TDF, then you must modify the TDF to include it.

I have it and I like it, but it is not a necessity...especially for the average that just wants to modify some of the tables (Spark and the various fuel tables) and maybe some of the constants.

As to "how many times can your re-write" onto an eprom before it becomes unuseable, thats a factor that depends on 1) how long you have left them in the burner (don't leave it too long or it will quickly become unuseable) and 2) the quality of the actual eprom used. 50-100 times would be my guess, maybe shorter maybe longer.

The trick is to erase it only long enough to make it "programmable". I am re-writing on a second GM memcal right now, and it takes about 15-20 minutes (when I first started doing it) and now about 20-25 minutes (about my 30th time). Some of the cheaper eproms erase quicker than some of the more expensive "C" types.
Old 02-02-2001, 12:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by doc:
How many times can the hypertech or SLP EPROMS be erased and re-programmed?
Most epproms have a 10K burn cycle life, you'll wear the pins out long before that. I rarely get more then a few dozen on one, if using a memcal and ZIF thou can get alot of cycles out of one

I just get cheap take outs and for $1 WTH.