DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Jet Adapter, Zif socket, or Memcal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: Chevy ZZ4
Transmission: Select Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser Axles / 3.73 Richmond Gears
Jet Adapter, Zif socket, or Memcal?

I saw the Jet Adapter but it looks like from the pic that the adapter plugs into the memcal so how do I plug the memcal back into the ecm? I must be missing something but that's how it looks from the pic in the Prom Burning Intro. Can someone please explain better how that whole thing works b/c it looks like the easiest way to go.

If I take a memcal from another car(any car)and modify that one with the zif will the limp home chips still function properly? Do they work with the prom so it doesn't matter what car I get it from or is it car type specific? I want to try the zif socket way but want to use a "junkyard" memcal in case things don't go as planned. Otherwise I'll use my original memcal and make the adapter. Then I'll get one or two more memcals to have on hand. Assuming the limp home chips aren't specific then I could get any memcal and re-burn it, no?
Old 09-07-2001, 08:35 AM

The adaptor plugs into the connector that the memcal used to plug into. You can't see it from the pictures, but the adaptor has the same type of connector as the memcal.

I just ordered a new memcal from GM Parts Direct for my 1991 truck. Coast was $38 + shipping. I'm going to use my old one for modifications and have the new one for backup in case I screw up. It is well worth the cost.
Old 09-07-2001, 09:01 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I am using an ADS piggy-back with a Flash Prom replacing the stock ADS eprom.

It does save you having to R&R the stock GM Memcal, but I only did this because I already had the ADS piggy-back. I wouldn't get a piggy-back JUST to save me from modding the stock GM Memcal as a spare GM Memcal is still cheaper.

I WISH I knew where you could by a "blank" piggy-back though. It REALLY looks cheap to make. Wouldn't even want them to put an Eprom in it, as I would insert a Flash Prom.
Old 09-07-2001, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA:
I am using an ADS piggy-back with a Flash Prom replacing the stock ADS eprom.

It does save you having to R&R the stock GM Memcal, but I only did this because I already had the ADS piggy-back. I wouldn't get a piggy-back JUST to save me from modding the stock GM Memcal as a spare GM Memcal is still cheaper.

I WISH I knew where you could by a "blank" piggy-back though. It REALLY looks cheap to make. Wouldn't even want them to put an Eprom in it, as I would insert a Flash Prom.
</font>
The blanks are about $45 last I checked.

Old 09-07-2001, 07:31 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Z-28
Engine: Chevy ZZ4
Transmission: Select Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser Axles / 3.73 Richmond Gears
$45 for blank memcals sounds good enough. I only really need two, one for burning and one as backup. What about the limp home part of the memcal? I would like to keep all the functions of limp home and trouble codes for easier diagnostics should something go bad.
Old 09-07-2001, 07:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ryn28:
$45 for blank memcals sounds good enough. I only really need two, one for burning and one as backup. What about the limp home part of the memcal? I would like to keep all the functions of limp home and trouble codes for easier diagnostics should something go bad. </font>
45 for the Jet type Memcal holder, that piggy back the stock memcal.

Old 09-08-2001, 08:37 PM

Grumpy, does Jet sell the memcal adaptor without the chip? If not, where can you get just the adaptor?