DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Very new to tuning. Need some suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: World Class T-5 5speed manual Trans
Axle/Gears: STOCK G92 performance 3.42
Very new to tuning. Need some suggestions.

OK so i have recieved the 3rd chip now from Tbichips and i have decided to do it my damn self. I do have an ALDL - USB cable, a laptop, and car .

its a 92 camaro L98 Z28 with a 730 Speed density setup. It has a 5 speed manual, edelbrock TPI system, TES headers, car sound catS (dual), GMMG exhaust, Ram air intake, MSD ignition w/coil, 22 lb bosch III injectors, with the BBK AFPR, stock '193 heads. and i need a TUNE. I was stuck between getting a PROM burner (which seems like a costly hassle) or the EMU or the EBL flashable one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Im liking the reprogrammable items, but i dont know whats involved, knowledge wise, money wise, and time wise...

Thanks guys,

Help a noob
Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73
Re: Very new to tuning. Need some suggestions.

EBL won't work for you, that is for a different ECM.

The Ostrich 2.0 is a VERY nice emulator, I use one myself. The real time tuning is very nice.

Tuning while sitting in the actual car gives much better feedback than any datalog can, there's more to what an engine needs than just what some numbers on a cumputer screen can show you. Even if you don't go real time, you can see, feel hear and smell just what is going on with the car, and use that in addition to the numbers on the computer screen to tune with.
This is why I won't "mail order tune" for ANYONE, I need to be in the car to know what it needs.

So jump in, it's definatly worth it.

I would suggest getting a programmer to at least program the "final" bin to an EEPROM and have that left in the vehicle.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Study up on datalogging and interpreting the logs. Consider a WB02 in future.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
EBL won't work for you, that is for a different ECM.

The Ostrich 2.0 is a VERY nice emulator, I use one myself. The real time tuning is very nice.

Tuning while sitting in the actual car gives much better feedback than any datalog can, there's more to what an engine needs than just what some numbers on a cumputer screen can show you. Even if you don't go real time, you can see, feel hear and smell just what is going on with the car, and use that in addition to the numbers on the computer screen to tune with.
This is why I won't "mail order tune" for ANYONE, I need to be in the car to know what it needs.

So jump in, it's definatly worth it.

I would suggest getting a programmer to at least program the "final" bin to an EEPROM and have that left in the vehicle.

I thought i read that. Its only for TBI cars huh.

I was looking at the Ostrich and i think i will eventually go for it. So you are saying once i get the "prefect" tune, burn a chip for it instead of leaving the Emulator in there forever. This makes sense, Thanks for the awesome input.

And as for WBO2, how is that different than just reading the O2 readings and going off of the AF ratio on a Datalog? is that something for the computer?

Thanks guys!

awesome
Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The EBL also works on MPFI setups. It works great for folks moving from TBI to port as only a few changes need to be made to the stock harness (injector, TPS, & IAC connectors).

To move from a '7730 to the EBL is a little more work. The 3 harness connectors get re-pinned down to two connectors. And a knock filter and VSS buffer need to be added. Those two pieces are internal on the '7730. But it does work as I did this with my '92, along with other's doing the same.

Moving from a '7165 to an EBL is easy. Move a few pins on the ECM harness connectors, mount & wire in a MAP sensor (1 or 2 bar), and plug in the EBL ECM.

For the '7730 a G1 adapter and Ostrich 2 will get you going. Will also need to add some sort of data logging to it. There are a couple of different routes available for it. A cable from moates.net and TunerProRT works (I believe a TP-RT license comes with the Ostrich).

Then find a decent ADS & XDF file for editing and logging.

RBob.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:41 PM

From what i've read and researched i think i will go with the Ostrich 2.0. Price, availability and ease of use/installation are the things that hooked me.

So, to begin, what if i just copy the same exact bin from my stock chip, but change the injector and displacement values??? i am going to need a lot of help.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 PM

It is always recommended to start with a stock BIN. In your case there isn't one as GM never put a T5 behind a L98. This makes it a little more difficult to start out.

I would be tempted to use AXCN which is a y-body '91 L98 BIN with a 6-spd. Then copy & paste the SA tables from AUJP over to it.

AUJP is a f-body L98 with a 700R4. The reason to avoid the AXCN SA tables is that they are '113 aluminum heads. And require different SA specs then the L98 iron heads.

Don't forget the G1 adapter and an ALDL cable while getting the Ostrich.

RBob.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 PM

I already have the ALDL cable, the adab\pter is that the one where you can plug a memcal into it and then plug it into the stock PROM location?? Like the things that TBI chips sell you? i already have this too.
I think the first chip i had had the bin from a manual Speed density y body, because it would tell me to shift ONLY in 5th gear. Is there a way to just copy and paste a Frankenstein Chip with the best of both worlds???
Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Yes, you may have a G1 already. It is a piece that plugs into the ECM in place of the stock MEMCAL. The stock MEMCAL then plugs into the side of the adapter. Then the adapter has a socket for the EPROM. That is where the Ostrich will plug in (along with a USB to the laptop).

To copy & paste from various BIN you can use TunerPro. Set up the other BIN as compare BINs, can then copy & paste or copy selections.

RBob.