DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Wideband only with EBL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wideband only with EBL?

I'm nearly done installing the LC-1 on my truck and think I may have misunderstood how the EBL uses the wideband. I wired the LC-1 to the 0 input on the EBL, can the EBL use this to run from or is it strictly for datalogging? If I understand what I've been reading I'm going to have to use one of the analog outputs and simulate the narrowband sensor and wire it into the stock narrowband wire? This could be a problem since I also have one of the DB gauges just so i can check the AFR. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Wideband only with EBL?

The WB is for data logging, VE Learn, and observing the AFR on the main & trip displays.

I would install a NB O2 sensor in the stock location and wire it to the ECM. Note that it is only required to run closed loop fueling.

If the vehicle has long tube headers a heated 3 or 4 wire O2 is likely required.

RBob.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 AM

Not quite the answer I was hoping for, but I do appreciate it. Mind if I ask why the EBL can't run from the wideband input?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

The LC1 has the simulated NB O2 output YELLOW (Analog out #1) that can be connected to the analog inputs of other devices such as data loggers, ECUs, or gauges. In case of C3 ECM (7747) connect analog out #1 to ECM pin D7 (purple wire). The LC-1 analog output #1 is 1.1V = 14 AFR and .1V = 15 AFR. This is a simulated narrowband signal. Note: The LC-1’s heater ground and ECM system ground wires should share the same grounding location of the analog input’s ground. Refer to chapter 2.2 for recommended wiring schematics of LC-1 owners manual.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...C-1_Manual.pdf

However, I would grade this manual 'C-' - as very little useful detail is given.

As a side note - three or four wire NBO should be used in place of LC-1. If LC1 takes a dump you still have NBO fully functioning. Good luck

//RF
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by nitrousdave
Not quite the answer I was hoping for, but I do appreciate it. Mind if I ask why the EBL can't run from the wideband input?
There are quite a few reasons. Most importantly I don't like the idea of being dependent upon another piece of electronics. If the tune is good there is no need for WB tracking. Have also seen some engines melted due to folks depending upon WB tracking to keep the AFR safe.

Then there is alky injection, doesn't really work when using a WB to keep the AFR in check under boost. It causes the ECM to lean out the AFR.

I did some ECM code a number of years ago to track AFR via a WB setup. This was before all the aftermarkets were even doing it. The issue was, I had a very difficult time planting the go pedal. Just made me too nervous to think that any glitch in the WB electronics/sensor and the engine was toast.

RBob.