DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL What's Up Display on Linux

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
EBL What's Up Display on Linux

Recently I reformatted my laptop to be running Linux only. Being able to use the EBL What's Up Display was a must on it, so I figured out how to make it work on Linux. Luckily, it is very easy to setup. My laptop is currently running Linux Mint 18.1 and I used Wine to get the What's Up Display working. A quick tutorial for the EBL P4:

1. Install Wine. Wine is a wrapper of sorts that allows Windows program to run on Linux.
2. Install the EBL What's Up Display with Wine.
3. Plug in the EBL USB cable.
4. Open a terminal and run the dmesg command. You should see a message saying that the USB device was plugged in on /dev/ttyUSB*. Mine was assigned /dev/ttyUSB0.
5. cd to ~/.wine/dosdevices/
6. Create a symbolic link from the USB device to the com port you wish to use. For example, if your EBL is on /dev/ttyUSB0 and you want to use com1 for the What's Up Display: sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 com1
7. See what group /dev/ttyUSB0 belongs to with: ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0. On my system it was in the dialout group.
8. Add your username to the group identified in step 7 if you are not already in that group. For example: usermod -a -G dialout <your username>
9. Logout and log back in so that you now have the dialout group on your account. Check to see that you have it the group with the command: groups
10. Start up the EBL What's Up Display and connect to the car over com1. You should now be able to to use the program as if you were on Windows.

Hopefully this helps someone else that wishes to switch to Linux on their tuning laptop
Old 06-13-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Corvette Z51 ("The GoCart")
Engine: 350(CFI)
Transmission: Built 700R4 w/3400RPM 9.5in stall
Axle/Gears: 3.07 (D36)
Re: EBL What's Up Display on Linux

I wonder if this could work for some of those Linux powered car stereo's out there...

assuming you can get the resolution right for the wud, could be neat.