DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Tuning your SA tables

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10
Tuning your SA tables

Getting VE tables right is a matter of logging your BLMs or AFR depending on which u choose. Its pretty straightforward. But how do some of you look to optimize SA? What do u use as a benchmark for deciding the correct timing for a particular cell? Are there any tools to do this similar to the VE .xls calculators?
Old 09-02-2017, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: TransAM
Engine: 355SBC
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Tuning your SA tables

No, there is no tool. To make a final correctly SA table, normally you need a session on dyno. If your spark adavance is too much, you have knocks, you can see on datalog. But you can also have knocks if mixture is to lean.. If your engine is nearly stock, you don´t need to make changes big values. For example, if you swap heads from cast iron to aluminum, you have to change SA table. What are specifications of your engine ? Which mechanical modifications did you make ?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

Thanks for the input. Yes I do dyno my car and work on the SA table for WOT. My post is really about optimizing timing during part throttle and driveability.
Just like you try for a 128BLM or 14.7:1 AFR in the VE cells, we don't really have a benchmark for setting SA. And of course when u play w one, u affect the other.
So I wanted t start this thread to get others thoughts on how the optimize timing
in the way we try to optimize fuel delivery.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Most amount of timing that gives you the most torque prior to diminished returns and knock. You can't just go off knock readings.