DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL, no fuel on cranking

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EBL, no fuel on cranking

Alright, haven't needed to come here in a couple years. So, doing bodywork on the jeep and a new problem has popped up... it won't run.

There's no gas coming out of the injectors during cranking. I've tested with the fuel line into a jar, and upon turning the key to on the fuel pump comes one, fuel comes out priming like it should. But, when cranking, no fuel comes out.

I'm wondering if I have an electrical issue that prevents the pump from being on when the key is in crank mode. I suppose I could put a multimeter on the pump to check voltage on crank. I could probably put a jumper on the pump to battery to be sure it's on during cranking.

I've checked with the EBL utility and there are no MALF codes or any indicators I can spot to give me a lead.

Is there anything else I should be checking for?

Any input is welcomed.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: EBL, no fuel on cranking

Does the tach on the WUD increase when cranking? If not then the ECM isn't getting the distributor reference pulses (DRPs) from the ICM.

I assumed that the engine did run prior to this. As most vehicles have two ignition switched power feeds. One that is hot while cranking (need to use this one), and one that is cold while cranking (such as radio feed).

RBob.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Cool, I just did a test and indeed the RPM in the WUD stays at 0 while cranking. I'll check that out tonight see if I can figure out where in the world my distributor pulse went.

It makes sense since I've had to build a complete cluster gauge to replace the rusty panel that was there. There must be an issue with the wires to the TACH meter or somewhere in that cluster.

Thanks, I'll update with my discovery after.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Double check the WUD version:

Help->About

-or-

ALT+H, A

It needs to be 2.2d or higher for the RPM to be shown while cranking. This change was part of major upgrades to the WUD.

So if your WUD version is 2.2d or higher, the ECM isn't receiving DRPs as you found out.

RBob.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:49 PM

The version I have is 3.0i, so I've got a gremlin in my wiring it seems.

thanks again for the precision.