DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

MAT analysis tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts
MAT analysis tool

Been having some extra time lately to play around with car stuff...

Guess I'm not hanging up the ECM just yet... lol...

Man, I love the SAUJP format... I wish I made the move to it a long time ago!

I was looking at my recent Tunerpro data and slicing and dicing the data relative to inlet air temp values...

Despite how well the car runs now, I've never really gotten a handle on how the MAT Compensation Counts table impacts things. So I've tended to leave it alone and not really investigate it too much. Though the INV MAT table does really well with the LT1 values on the Miniram and my cold air set up.

Any rate what's cool is with the WB data and SAUJP, I can actually start calculating and detecting changes in average PE AFR across RPM ranges vs reported inlet air temperature; and then slice and dice those averages into small rpm ranges that correspond to the way the PE vs RPM table is set up. I.e., from 2000 to 2400 rpm, then 2400 to 2800, then 2800 to 3200, etc, etc...

For instance, in Excel, if I formularize the average WB AFR value calculation with an If/Then to only look at WB AFR values for air temperature values that correspond to the MAT Compensation Counts (MCC) table , I can plot the changes in reported PE AFR vs the standard temperatures in the (MCC) table in order to see how the MCC table entries impact PE AFR. At which point, I start adjusting PE values at certain MAT temperatures by just tweaking the MCC table.

What I'm finding is that in street cruising with all the starts and stops, the MAT temperatures can start to climb. But if I get on the freeway, obviously the MAT temperatures will drop considerably. As such, I can be moving around between one MCC table temperature to another (i.e., from 56C to 68C, back down to 56C, up to 80C, etc), and that can start resulting different PE AFR's at the WB for the same RPM.

So let's say I've tuned my PE's while on short driving runs on cool days before the air temps have gotten too high (i.e., I stay below 68C in the MCC table for the entire run). I'll have a certain set of values for my PE table based on the inlet air temp for those runs staying below 68C air temp.

Then another day, I'm driving around for a long time on a warmer day... My air temp will then climb into a higher air temp value in the MCC table (i.e., above 68C), and the ECM will deliver a different amount of fuel because it's being told to compensate for air temperature with a different MCC table value for >68C than it was at <68C. And if that value for >68C in the MCC table air temperature isn't quite right for the given air temperature, my PE AFR's will be different and not per what I programmed earlier.

On mine, it actually wasn't too bad... it was only off by about 1/4 point or so on AFRs from one MCC air temp to another, but with this method I was actually able to make the WB PE's uniform from one MCC air temp to another... very cool!

I'll probably make this into a formal tool and release it here for anyone else who has SAUJP and a WB and is interested in pursuing this.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Re: MAT analysis tool

I generated the tool and it really works great!

The image below a screen capture of the output... You can see how it plots average AFR for each standard $8D PE reference RPM range vs the $8D standard MCC reference temperatures.

You can see how for this run, I didn't quite hit all the RPM ranges for one of the higher MCC temp ranges. But you can see how the PE average AFR's hold pretty constant from one temperature to another.

It's basically gathering all the AFR data points recorded during all the time spent in a given RPM range and MCC standard temperature range, then simply takes the average of all those AFR data points.

It wasn't warm enough out here lately to get a good amount of data at those higher MCC temps like the 80-92C range (and with my CAI tube, I never get above 92C anyway). So it'll be interesting to see how it performs when it gets warmer. But at this point, it doesn't look like it'll be too far off. In areas where there is no Tunerpro data captured for the given RPM range and temperature range, it returns "No Data".

So with this kind of tool, you basically tune PE's at one MCC MAT standard temperature range using the PE tables, preferably the lower temperature ranges when the car is at max coolant temperature, but still "cold" in terms of underhood air temps.

Then you tune the PE's at the other MAT temperature ranges only using the MCC table (no PE table adjustments). The end result is you get that "cold car" feel indefinitely.

Now, the only problem with this tool is it's over 30MB... lol...

The formularization required to do the calcs means that the calculation engine has to look at every cell in the Tunerpro data for the parameters needed to do the calcs, which means there's a calculation cell for every TP data cell. So it ends up being a massive file, and I can't post it up here... Can probably e-mail it to anyone who wants to try it out...

EDIT: LOL... just noticed the conversion from degC to degF is incorrect.... corrected it in the tool
Attached Thumbnails MAT analysis tool-mat-analysis.jpg  

Last edited by ULTM8Z; 09-23-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

Re: MAT analysis tool

I was able to cut the file size down to below Yahoo's 30MB e-mail limit. I've already e-mailed it to a couple of folks now. Anyone else who wants a copy, let me know.