DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

New map sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New map sensor

I got a new Knock sensor to put on the car Saturday and decided to get a new map sensor as well, the car does have 142,000 miles on it and neither sensor has ever been changed. So as a test I hooked up the scanner and turned on the key to see what the map was reading with the motor off. I then put on the new map and noticed that it was reading lower than the old one.
Old map 4.75 to 4.90
New map 4.31 to 4.39
The readings were with the car off and were taken with in minutes of each other.

It also looks like the map readings are a lot more stable when cruising at a steady speed on level roads.
Should have changed this 3 weeks ago before I started messing with the VE tables.

Now the ??
In Tune Cat using $8D (730 ecm)
What do these 2 tables do?
BLM Cell RPM Boundaries
This one has adjustments at low, mid and high, it is adjusting the RPM in each.
And
BLM Cell MAP Boundaries
This one has adjustments at low, mid and high, it is adjusting the MAP in each.

Thanks for opening up this board and thanks to all the people that help others here. If not for this board and the people here I would never have gotten into burring my own chips.
Old 04-07-2002, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: New map sensor

Originally posted by Z_Ghost
I got a new Knock sensor to put on the car Saturday and decided to get a new map sensor as well, the car does have 142,000 miles on it and neither sensor has ever been changed. So as a test I hooked up the scanner and turned on the key to see what the map was reading with the motor off. I then put on the new map and noticed that it was reading lower than the old one.
Old map 4.75 to 4.90
New map 4.31 to 4.39
The readings were with the car off and were taken with in minutes of each other.

It also looks like the map readings are a lot more stable when cruising at a steady speed on level roads.
Should have changed this 3 weeks ago before I started messing with the VE tables.

Now the ??
In Tune Cat using $8D (730 ecm)
What do these 2 tables do?
BLM Cell RPM Boundaries
This one has adjustments at low, mid and high, it is adjusting the RPM in each.
And
BLM Cell MAP Boundaries
This one has adjustments at low, mid and high, it is adjusting the MAP in each.

Thanks for opening up this board and thanks to all the people that help others here. If not for this board and the people here I would never have gotten into burring my own chips.

With the filtering of values the ecm does, those v differences aren't going to matter.
While the ecm does a Baro calc, the corrections aren't that large. As you increase the state of tune, then they can become more meaningful for engine life.
They set a grid, of 9 blocks called cells that the ecm memorized the BLs for those areas. I've never found any reason to mess with em.

The programming is very dynamic, and evolving, it really doesn't matter what cell your in. Like many issues, I'm sure others have varing opions.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:59 PM

Thanks Grumpy
Seems the more I learn about this the more I realize how much I do not know.

Old 04-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by Z_Ghost
Thanks Grumpy
Seems the more I learn about this the more I realize how much I do not know.
EPROMing is the ultimate practice of Zin.
While I'm often given the reputation of being a smart **** about ecms, I'll be the first to say I by no means know even alot about ecms, what gets me is the folks that been in it for a few months thinking they know it all.

I had "my" regal remind me of that a few days ago.
Guaging AE to TPS vs MAP can be humbling.
I had tried every combo, and nothing had worked, and I fell for the old mind trap of it felt like AE, welllll, took a bunch of timing OUT and the engine woke right up.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Grumpy

EPROMing is the ultimate practice of Zin.
While I'm often given the reputation of being a smart **** about ecms, I'll be the first to say I by no means know even alot about ecms, what gets me is the folks that been in it for a few months thinking they know it all.

I had "my" regal remind me of that a few days ago.
Guaging AE to TPS vs MAP can be humbling.
I had tried every combo, and nothing had worked, and I fell for the old mind trap of it felt like AE, welllll, took a bunch of timing OUT and the engine woke right up.
LOL
It's good to see that the master has problems some times.