Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Dead PL and PM, and mystery wires...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's
Dead PL and PM, and mystery wires...

Okay, my heater core blew out about a month ago, and I finally got around to replacing it today. '90 T/A GTA, 305, 4 speed auto. I did it without pulling the whole dash. Just the dash pad, the passenger kickpanel and the under-dash panel. I did have to remove the ECM though (half-assed previous mechanic had the ECM hanging on three wires in there... It's in it's holder properly now). The heatercore went in well with the expected cursing and swearing and doesn't seem to be leaking. Now, however, the power locks and the power mirrors don't seem to work. The windows work fine though (thankfully). Any ideas? I haven't checked the fuse panel yet. As I found out that they're dead I kinda remembered that I should've disconnected the battery before I unplugged and replugged the ECM...

As well, I found three mystery wires... Green, white, and grey, all disappearing up under the dash just below the far right vent, all cleanly snipped from somewhere (probably by that ahem, "master mechanic"). They seem to head towards the driver's side but I have no idea where to. There's no slack on them so they probably don't go far. I couldn't find anywhere where they might have been cut from. The alarm has been disabled by said mechanic long before I bought the car. Could that be related? Thanks...
Old 06-08-2002, 08:23 PM

The dead list: Power locks, power mirrors, horn, hatch release, fog lights, and the centre console light. Everything else seems to work, like the headlights, turn signals, windows, and the radio. I read something about two fusible links and one blowing could case something like this. Any ideas about that theory?
Old 06-09-2002, 03:10 PM

<whew> It was a mere fuse that got me all worried. I wouldn't have guess that one measly fuse covered all of those accessories. Gotta love these simple problems eh?
Old 08-11-2002, 08:10 PM

Well in case anyone cares, I think I found out what those mystery wires were for. The power antenna went out so the previous owner had it replaced with an <ack> euro style rubber antenna. It looks better than it sounds, trust me. Those three wires must've headed towards the old power antenna. Someone brought up this idea on an f-body newsgroup in response to a similar question. I have that gentleman to thank.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:40 PM

good to see you figured out the problem. if the power locks act up on you again, electrical wiring diagrams are avalaible at:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/thirdgen/powerlocks
Old 08-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All those things you listed + the lighter are on the same circut, if they all don't work it has to be a fuse or the power input to that circut on the fuse block.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:20 PM

Thanks guys, I really could have used that info a few months ago. I never would have guessed that one fuse would cover all of those accessories. Naturally I didn't have a spare 20 amp fuse at the time, but that 15 amp fuse I put in is holding up surprisingly well so far...