Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

volt meter and light not working after overlay install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volt meter and light not working after overlay install

Ok, I have a problem. I installed Macewen overlays this past weekend. They look good as hell, but one problem. I got in the car after about 3 days of it sitting in the garage and the voltmeter wouldn't work. Neither the would the light that lights up the voltmeter and the temp guage. I thought, well hell, i must have screwed something up, but here is the screwy part, after about 3 miles of driving, they all start working again. My guess is that the cold is doing something, because it is pretty cold here. They do not just come on when i hit a bump, just when the car gets a little warmer. And they will stay on until i turn the car off for and will come right back on if i start the car right back up. So what is the problem? What did I screw up?

------------------
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood,tinted windows
Old 01-09-2001, 06:14 PM

Ok.... chances are you did not seat the cluster correctly. This happened to mine when I installed my cluster. the left turn turn singal light did not work. I think this happened to me because I R/R the cluster at night and could not see what I was doing. I Took it out and put the cluster back in during the day and the problem dissapeared

------------------
3.8 turbo 20th anniversary transam #497 first owed by Clifford Williams, Bass player from rock band AC/DC
Old 01-09-2001, 10:40 PM

i was thinking that might be the problem ..i will do that later.
Old 01-10-2001, 07:12 AM

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350, 383
Transmission: T-56 & 700R4
jm91rs,

You have an intermittant. Remove the cluster, and lightly clean the contacts of the cluster with a dry, clean, scotch-brite pad. Blow the contact clean, to remove any traces of the pad material. you will now have fresh, untarnished copper on the flexible circuit.

A white, ink eraser can be used as well. But erasers leave residue.

The bulb holder contacts (where they meet the flexible circuit) may be dirty as well. Pull the trouble bulb holder. Clean the contacts (as above) and slightly pry the contact up. Clean the contact on the flexible circuit where the bulb holder plugs in (as above). Install bulb holder.

You can even take this oppportunity to clean the contacts on the dash connector.

That should do it.

------------------
Ryan MacEwen Pruyn
MacEwen Motorsports

1987 GTA 350 6spd, White OEM instruments, 17" Borbet Type A's, 275/40ZR17's, 255/45ZR17's, Koni Sport Adjustables, Eichbach Sport Springs, Poly U, everywhere, Guldstrand Engineering Panhard rod, LCA's
Old 01-10-2001, 10:07 AM

thanks...and after i called you that night about installing the bulbs i took to the time to solder every bulb into the holder, then i went out into my garage to look for a clear 194 bulb to replace something else and in a drawer marked "lightbulbs" my dad had about 50 of those damn holders where you just pop the new bulb in. Oh well, i wasted some time, but it looks good as hell.

------------------
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood,tinted windows