Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

4th gen MAF modded for 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 06:47 PM
SLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen MAF modded for 3rd gen

I have an experiment that Im working on that involves using the 4th gen MAF from the Fbody(V8) to work on a 3rd gen Firebird(V8). It involves using the circuitry from the 3rd gen MAF and the housing from the 4th gen MAF. For instance: Ive got an SLP dual air intake system that requires the battery/fuel purge canister relocated. However this system is made for speed density systems w/no MAF in the way. The 3rd gen MAF are too big in length to fit in between the TB and the air intake system. I looked at a 4th gen MAF and the length is considerably shorter while maintaining the proper circumference for airflow. My question is: Has anyone attempted this kind of modification before? Does an aftermarket MAF exist that meets my criteria? If anyone has an xtra 4th gen MAF(junk or otherwise but housing in good shape) they would like to send my way for the experiment? If I can get this to work with no problems then I will have created an option to those who have 3rd gen MAF and are looking to ram air applications etc.. that would have otherwise forced them to convert to speed density in order to make their system work. Let me know either here or at fbodyparts@hotmail.com. My accomplishments will be posted in the tech forum if sucessful. Thanks, STEVE Z
Old 06-18-2002, 04:33 PM
SLZ

No responses. Hmm.. I guess this project isn t as simple like "how to change a fuse" problems that get tons of responses. Not meaning to be sarcastic but if this particular MAF prob has been solved or if anyone has any input then it would benefit ALOT of folks. Im trying to solve the lack of space problem for a MAF to be installed with aftemarket or home-made ram air intakes, SLP dual air intakes, anything that would normally require a speed density setup because of no place to put a MAF(especially in firebirds). The 4th gen style is alot slimmer in length but retains the proper circumference for good cfm. This coupled with the 3rd gen MAF circuitry would make it possible to install inline with the air intake and the tb(good for anyone with a cramped eng bay). I have a 3rd gen MAF disassembled and I have to disassemble a 4th gen MAF to see if the circuit swap is possible. Otherwise I need to develop some kind of housing similar to the 4th gen for the 3rd gen circuits. Any ideas? Thanks, STEVE Z
Old 06-19-2002, 04:43 PM
SLZ

Well I found a 4th gen MAF and disassembled it. 3rd gen MAF have a 5 pin connector while this 4th gen MAF(came out of an LT1 Caprice) has a three pin connector. Also the circuits are sealed inside a housing(would break if opened by force). Looks like I have to build one from scratch afterall. Any info is appreciated. Thanks, STEVE Z
Old 06-20-2002, 01:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
I'm interested.

A couple of problems I foresee (could be just flukes) would be A)the MAF has to be airtight...make sure to completely seal the new unit. B) Third gen mafs can only read so much (compared to the higher limit on 4th gen mafs) and this is undoubtedly linked to the size of the MAF. Making a bigger MAF tube wouldn't allow the sensor to read any more than it would if it was 2 inches in diameter...it just allow it to flow easier. I'm kinda thinking that the bigger tube might actually negatively influence the sensor...but how...I don't know. I haven't read up enough on the subject yet. You might try searching on how exactly a MAF getS and sends its signal(s). This might reveal why I'm imagining a problem.

Hopefully this came out as constructive criticism. At least its nice to know someone is taking an interest in something new and innovative!
Old 06-21-2002, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive me for butting in...
There are at least 3 maybe 4 different GM MAF's

1. Bosch MAF
Produces a a signal voltage from 0-5 V based on airflow

2. First Delco
Produces a variable frequency based on airflow 32 to 150Hz

3. Delco 2
Produces a variable frequency based on airflow 200hz to
some thousands (can't remember)

4. Hitachi
(I'm almost sure this didn't get into F-Bods, but I don't know
what an LS1 uses)

So you are contemplating a conversion from what to what ?
Old 06-23-2002, 02:26 PM
SLZ

I am just trying to get/make a MAF to use on a thirdgen Firebird that is alot shorter in length so I can install in between the TB and the dual intake duct(SLP/ this unit made for Speed Density apps only). This way folks who want to add ram air etc... dont have to install Speed Density(for fear of the MAF not fitting on their system/clearence for one reason) because there would be room for the modified MAF. STEVE Z
Old 06-23-2002, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm... Seems like a good idea to me...
Just tossing ideas around....

This sort of game is largely determined by the tools you have at hand.
Either you can approach this from a convert the electronics
point of view or you can make the "form factor" of the original
MAF fit.

1. My guess is that you are more adept at fabrication than you
are at the EE sort of thing.... (otherwise this is the first thing
you would have checked)

Soooo...
One thing to look at is what is the target dimension and then
where can you whack the existing MAF to get there...

Got pics (preferably with a ruler in the pic)
Old 06-24-2002, 01:53 PM

SLZ,

You seem to be very knowledgeable about these cars. I am hoping you can help me. To be honest, I am not exactly sure what you mean with all this stuff but I know nothing about these. I am 18 and just bought my first FUN car. I bought an 89 GTA wanna be. I got ripped off. I know I won't be able to unload it now either. It turns out to only be a V6. I really wanted the 350. To top it off, it makes this whining noice every time I hit like 3000 rpm's. It is frustrating. SO now I try to keep it below 3000 rpm's so I don't do any damage. I wanted a T-roof car and I wanted red. I settled for this car (white hard top) because it had low miles and I thought it was the 350 I was looking for. I paid a lot. No way I can unload it now. Do you think when this conversion is done that it will help rid my car of this aggravating whine. Someone went thru a lot of trouble to make this look like the GTA. It has the gold GTA wheels that came on all GTA's. It has the wing on the back, not even broken like a lot of the ones I looked at. ( I was told this was a chroninc problem with these cars) so it must have just been added. Please help.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:34 PM
SLZ

Email me at fbodyparts@hotmail.com I have some questions about your car and the problems that you are facing. I might have some answers for you. STEVE Z
Old 06-28-2002, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula / 09 G8
Engine: LS1 / LS3
Transmission: M6 / M6
Axle/Gears: 3:42 / 3:27
You can do anything you want in regards to the MAF length, just don't change the dia. at all! They are specificly calibrated to send a certain voltage at X airflow. If you increase the dia. the same amount of air will flow through just at a slower rate.. this will completly screw up the computer. It wouldn't surprise me if the dia. had to be accurate within thousands.

How much shorter does your MAF need to be? Would it not be simpler to cut a little off and then remounted the lip that the intake duct clamps to?
Old 06-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Banned

I read in a seperate post somewhere that Ramchargers here in Livonia, MI is considering developing a "translator" to adapt different MAF's to our cars if there was enough demand for such a unit.

Contact them and let them know you may be interested. They have a website and sell other translators .... http://www.ramchargers.com/cgi-bin/n...767&cat3=10768

Last edited by IROC57TPI; 06-28-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:12 PM
SLZ

Well I ended up trimming a homemade boot for the TB to MAF, trimming both lip ends of the MAF to half its lip length, and trimming the dual air intake system on the MAF side and it fits(very tightly). So I made do with mostly modifying everything around the MAF to fit. It would be cool to see a MAF sensor that works on the 305/350TPI's but at a lengh of the 4th gen MAF's.
Ill show a pic when Im finished. STEVE Z