Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

fuel pump wiring/pump draw specs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Which one?
Engine: 355
Transmission: 465
fuel pump wiring/pump draw specs?

Well, getting further and further along in my swap to '88 Camaro TPI in my "1986" K5.

I have a slight issue with the fuel pump wiring. I've got an '89 TBI truck sending unit, and of course I need to run a TPI pump. Apparently, the '88 Camaro runs the fuel pump power feed through the fuse panel, then I'd assume to the fuel tank, through the cab? (seems odd, but the connector off the engine side fuse panel connector IS the tan/wht(?) fuel pump feed. Trucks ran the wire under the cab)

The problem I see though, is that the wire gauges are different. The TBI feed wire is smaller (not sure of AWG) than the TPI harness feed.

If I knew if the TBI/TPI pumps drew the same amount of power, then I wouldn't be concerned with this, however, I doubt that GM would have increased the feed wire size unless they HAD too.

I realize that I *probably* won't have a problem just joining the two wires, but the last thing I want to do is have a wire meltdown or fire because of the wire size difference. Of course, if anything else not related to TPI was run off this circuit (which would also seem odd) at the fuse panel, then I don't have to be concerned I'm sure.

Any ideas, thoughts, opinions, or data to help me out?

Thanks!

Dorian
Old 09-06-2002, 03:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
The actual power to the fuel pump is from the battery. The fuse panel supplies power to the relay. The wire at the harness ouside of the car going to the sender is 16-18ga wire (nothing very hefty). Such a short distance (roughly just under 2') wouldn't be any cause for concern (IMO).. or at least that seems to be what GM thought. I could be wrong though...

Here's a diagram that may be of some assistance.

http://www.deadbird.org/tech/tpi3.gif
Old 09-06-2002, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by deadbird
The actual power to the fuel pump is from the battery. The fuse panel supplies power to the relay. The wire at the harness ouside of the car going to the sender is 16-18ga wire (nothing very hefty). Such a short distance (roughly just under 2') wouldn't be any cause for concern (IMO).. or at least that seems to be what GM thought. I could be wrong though...

Here's a diagram that may be of some assistance.

http://www.deadbird.org/tech/tpi3.gif
Hmm. Nice looking diagram, thanks.

So "B2" is the one I'm dealing with apparently. I've got an '88 manual at home, so as you say, that must just be a 12V hot in run/start wire.

Thanks for the clarification : )

Dorian
Old 09-08-2002, 10:59 PM

what color is the wire?
Old 09-09-2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Gta-Paladin
what color is the wire?
It's tan/wht.

Looking at that diagram now that I have some sleep, it's apparent that I'm *not* dealing with the wire on that diagram, as "B2" is the ECM pin.

http://92b4crs.tripod.com/86wiring/dia-pics/22-2.jpg I'm pretty sure shows that wire, connecting with "C207" from S145. I've got continuity from the wire in question to the tan/white fuel pump relay wire, so I know its tied in, but I didn't *think* C207 was the firewall connector..aren't those like C100 and C101?
Don't have my '88 manual here, but I'm fairly certain it will be the same setup as that diagram, just got to figure out what C207 is, because I pulled this wire from the fuse panel connector myself, so I *know* it went in there. (I know the connector pictures are in the back of my '88 wiring manual, but that means I have to go home to verify : )

I don't see any other wires in the diagrams that match the one I pulled, and I don't have another "fuel pump lead" that I've marked on my harness, that would have to be it..but did they really go in through the cab with the fuel pump wire?

Just when you think you have something figured out... : )

I *was* in a huge hurry, I plumbed the wiring into the truck cab in all, as the engine block was almost done, but I've got a couple days reprieve, the machine shop bored my "unbored" block .050 over in about the stupidest mistake I have ever seen.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:28 PM

I have a wire that was cut and i cant find where it reconnects to, it runs along the door panel originating in the fuse box area, going to the trunk....
Old 09-09-2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Gta-Paladin
I have a wire that was cut and i cant find where it reconnects to, it runs along the door panel originating in the fuse box area, going to the trunk....
What color is it, and what year are you dealing with? The link I posted previously is for the '86, almost identical to my '88 wiring. The entire electrical manual (minus the connector pictures) is located on that site.