Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Rear defroster

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear defroster

With winter heading in, I've been trying to get my rear defroster operational. When I hit the switch, the light comes on and stays on until it's turned off (isn't it timed like most other cars?). I didn't have a DVM handy, but I took a test light to the back, and could see any noticeable power to either the left or right sides. I haven't looked for power at the switch yet. Could someone clue me in as to what wires to check at the switch, and if I do determine the problem to be in the front-back wiring, what color are the wires and which side of the car do they run down ? Thanks!

Kyle
Old 11-15-2001, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

why are you driving the car in the winter? jk... i know some of us have no alternative.

typically, they should shut off after a time period; how long are you letting them run. when i drove mine in the winter (1 time) many moons ago, it would run for a very long time which was no big deal because i just turned it off when it was done.

they aren't made very well so i don't know what to tell you, just bring an ice scraper.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:20 PM

well, I finally got some frost on it to give it a good test. I let it run a good 10 min or so with no noticeable defrosting power, so I'll take that as it's shot. I shut it off on my own. So does anyone know which side of the car the wiring runs down ? Thanks!

Old 11-20-2001, 09:06 PM

hey i have the same exact problem and winter is soon approaching, if anyone knows where the wires are run at, it would be very helpful.
Phineas please e-mail me if you find out anything, and ill mail u if i find anything ..

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI
Borg Warner T-5 fresh rebuild
10-bolt 3.73 Richmond gears rebuilt GM posi,
formerly BW 9-bolt w/3.45 gears(broke it)
Ported Plenum and Runners Homemade AFPR
ACCEL 8.8 wires, High output coil,and cap & rotor
Bosch platinum + 4 plugs
Ram Air w/ K&N filters,
MAF sensor screens removed, TB coolant bypass
Polyurethane tranny and torque arm mounts
No Cat, Dynomax Headers & catback w/custom tips
K&N oil filter,Mobil 1 synth,Factory Oil Cooler, Futura GLS Super Sport tires 265/50/15 rear and 235/60/15 front mounted on 86 monte carlo SS rims.

406 siamesed TPI in progress
Old 11-21-2001, 02:40 AM

Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Honestly? You guys don't want to hear this: I think it runs right down the middle. When I stripped out my interior there were a bunch of wires going right under the middle of the car, past the tranny and stuff. I also had problems with my defrost, it would shut itself off right after I turned it on. It turned out it was the switch itself. They're like $35 from GM, but I got mine for free out of a car that was being parted. I don't think there's much else in the system that could cause a problem, unless you have a broken wire or break in the defroster grid.

------------------
91 Z28
Come see The Vicious...
Old 11-21-2001, 06:22 AM

Check the grid grounding wires that are supposed to be connected to your hatch shocks first. The little clips come disconnected really easily and they can cause it to not work as well as turning it on when you press on the brake. Take a look before you rip the interior out.