Overheating Question - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Overheating Question

Old 12-12-2001, 06:55 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: El Cajon, CA
Posts: 5
Overheating Question

My car is overheating. The fan does not come on when the temperature exceeds its limit. The fan does come on when the A/C is switched on. I replaced the sensor switch under the right-hand exhaust manifold, but the problem still exists. Shoudl I replace the connection to the sensor? Any suggestions? Thanks.
JR91Conv is offline  
Old 12-13-2001, 10:33 AM
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kcender, Alabama
Posts: 494
Sounds like a bad relay. Mine are on the radiator support passenger side. Easy and cheap to replace. Mine has 2.

87 TA, 305 TPI, Custom CAI, K&N, ACCEL 8mm wires,ACCEL Super-coil, ACCEL Plugs, JET TPI Airfoil, Cherry Bomb Muffler, 160* thermostat
The Phoenix Project..click to see my project car
Trans Am stuff and GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS!!!!!
mtccl is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 12:44 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Re: Overheating Question

You can run a manual switch to activate fan early and they developed a lower thermostat. Last cast is to run royal purple cooler antifreeze or high flow fuel pump.i faced it for years. Any other info feel free to get back. Too torque monster.
Jazzyjeff87 is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:33 AM
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 21,099
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Overheating Question

The fan switch isn't "under the exhaust manifold". It's between the #6 & #8 spark plugs, at a slightly higher level; not really "under" at all.

You might have changed the wrong [mr spock]senn-sore[/mr spock]. The thing UNDER the exh manifold is the knock sensor. Has a similar connector but is much larger overall.

See this post. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...an-switch.html Should help identify what you're doing.

If you touch the switch's connector to ground (the metal part of it, that is) when the key is on, the fan should come on. You can stick a paper clip or piece of wire in it to help.

If the connector is damaged, then yes, replace it.

I'd avoid a manual switch at all costs. The system works fine without it. The least reliable system you can possibly design, is to require action on the part of a human.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 07-17-2018 at 06:36 AM.
sofakingdom is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
09-01-2015 03:51 PM
08-31-2015 12:02 PM
Tech / General Engine
08-29-2015 02:30 PM
Tech / General Engine
08-17-2015 07:06 PM
08-16-2015 11:40 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating Question

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: