Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Ignition switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA (88 Firebird V6 to V8 conversion RIP)
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 spd
Ignition switch replacement

Has anyone on here replaced an ignition switch lately? I need some tips... I've got the switch (picked it up from the dealership yesterday). I pulled the bottom part of the dash out of my car and I can see where the switch is (between steering column and dash). Just wondering what all has to be done to remove it. Looks like I have to disconnect the steering column from the dash to get to it.

Any tips anyone??? Trickster... I'm sure you must have some ideas...

EDIT: BTW, car is an 89 GTA
Old 09-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drop the lower kick panel and the trim piece below the column. Next, support the column and remove the 2 nuts that hold it up under the dash. Drop the column as far as it will go. The high beam switch is also mounted to the ignition switch and has to be removed from it.
Tape the high beam actuator rod to the column to keep it from falling out. Remove the screw closest to you (5/16" or 9/32" head) then remove the other screw on it (same size).
Next you need to remove the phillips screw from the ignition switch, it is at the farthest end of the switch from you and a pain to do.
Remove the ignition switch from the actuator rod and then disconnect the electrical connector. There will be a cable still hooked to the switch, that is for the ignition interlock.
Manuver the ignition switch down the column until you can get it out by the pedals. There are 2 #1 phillips screws holding the interlock to the switch. Remove them and the switch will come out.
Installiation is the reverse with one exception. The bottom screw for the high beam switch is a royal bitch to put in, so put that screw in the ignition switch BEFORE you put the ignition switch in place. Next cut out the bottom of the slot for that screw on the high beam switch so you'll be able to slide the high beam switch onto it then install the upper screw and tighten them both.

Be sure the new ignition switch is in the "off/ locked" position when you put it in and make sure its actuator rod goes into the hole in the switch.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA (88 Firebird V6 to V8 conversion RIP)
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 spd
Thanks for the info... I'm not sure whether to try tackling it myself or let the garage do it... it would definitely save me some $$$ doing it myself... maybe I'll take another look at it tonight and see if I can do it...
Old 09-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds harder than it is. It took me about 2 hours the first time I replaced one.