Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Relays question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relays question

I found a parallel-port relay controller designed for car-PCs recently, and I'm trying to brainstorm what all can be done with it. Here's what I'm thinking so far--note, the attached computer would be running near-permanently and control engine, ECM and everything else in what I'm thinking.

Engine start/shutdown/accessory (replace ignition key)
Door lock/unlock/doorpoppers
Power window up/down
Headlight on/off/highbeam/retract (Firebird)
Wipers?
Hatch release?
Hood release?
Hatch and hood close, if a mechanical/hydraulic retractor's available--does anyone make this?

Anyone have ideas to add to this list? (I'm thinking the remote-starter would fire up the car-PC, using a stripped-down OS, then the comp'd start engine, then unlock/pop doors in response to RFID tag in proximity with the appropriate door.)

Obligatory noob question: What all relay-controlled parts are there on a thirdgen?
Old 10-23-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
So if the car stalls, you briefly lose power, or something else abnormal occurs, you have to pull over (or push) and wait for the PC to reboot before you can start the engine? That sounds about right. And if you are planning on using a hard drive instead of flash ROM, you can forget about using the vehicle in cold weather.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Relays?

Fuel pump;
Antenna;
Start enable;
MAF power;
MAF burnoff;
Headlights (Pontiacs);
Hatch release;
TCC;
Rear defogger;
HVAC high blower;
Cooling fans;
Probably some others I'm overlooking.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Sounds like if you have to ask then you're not going to do it. You will need a detailed manual to even to begin to devise a plan for this, so just get the wiring diagram of the car and see what can be controlled. Personally, I think controlling things that don't need to be controlled via a computer is 1. problematic, and 2. pointless.

Door poppers? That means the comp has to be booted up. Hood retractor? Thats not only dangerous but just plain absurd. The amount of strain a motor that can close our hoods would put on the car is ridiculous. Did you actually put thought into this or is it just a sunday-morning-I'm-bored-let's-post type of deal.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarification and partial retraction

Vader, when I said key elimination, I wasn't talking about removal, just not typically using it. If all else failed, I'd still retain the key-start capability by wiring the two relays in parallel.

Josh: Thanks for the correction on the hood issue. Eventually, the goal is a fully-computer-control-capable vehicle, like the ones that DARPA just raced in Barstow, only the next step (and being able to have the car come to me from the parking space after my day at the office).

So I'd say there's thought here; it's just highly ambitious, but not totally aware of where technology's limits currently are.