Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car Doesn't Always Start...wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird V6 w/trans am package
Car Doesn't Always Start...wiring?

I've got an 89 Firebird with the 2.8L V6. I've done all sorts of work on it but one thing is really getting me stuck. It seems like there is a bad connection somewhere in the wiring because the car doesn't always start. I'll turn the key and all the accessories come on but it's like the car doesn't get the signal to start. If you slam the door or do something to shake the car some it seems to fix whatever the problem is and voila it'll usually start. The car sat for about 1 1/2 years because of a broken water pump that I finally replaced Sunday. I already changed out the starter and had a new ignition put it at the same time. Oh and another thing is the turn signal stem is broken and whenever you make a left turn the horn honks (I disconnected the horn for now) Also about 2 years ago the steering wheel was very loose and I took it apart and tightened it but that was AFTER the starting issues had already begun, but I didn't see anything unusal.

Problem is I just sold the car to someone and I don't want to give him an additional problem if I can help it. I had honestly totally forgotten about the problem until yesterday when I went to start it up and it didn't start first time (it had every time before that since fixing it). I told the kid that night about it when he bought it but he is not mechnically inclined at all. I even knocked $600 off the price even though I fixed the water pump, truck motor, and put a new battery in it to try to be fair. I told him to take the car to a shop to get the new turn signal stem put in because I figure that way they can double check that everything is ok in the steering wheel. Please help me out here, I want this kid to get a really nice WORKING car.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:12 AM

Car: 84-92 firebirds
Engine: 2.8/3.1
Transmission: auto
The no start sounds like it could be VATS related. The other "horn" instead of blinker on a left turn sounds like a loose wire or something thats shorting to ground when the wheel is turned. The turn signal stem should be available at any auto parts store and is an easy fix.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 AM

Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700-R4
yes that is usually the VATS acting up. My car messes with me all the time and does the same thing. Its impossible to steal and just as hard to start
Old 03-29-2006, 12:02 PM

Car: 89 Firebird V6 w/trans am package
Originally Posted by 8492bird
The no start sounds like it could be VATS related. The other "horn" instead of blinker on a left turn sounds like a loose wire or something thats shorting to ground when the wheel is turned. The turn signal stem should be available at any auto parts store and is an easy fix.
I already bought the turn signal stem so I'm good to go there, I had planned on pulling the steering wheel myself (I already had the steering wheel puller from when I took it off to tighten everything back up when the wheel was loose) I figured that this might be something better fixed by a pro and that it would be better for them to go ahead and do both things for the guy who bought the car instead of me trying to fix it myself. Now when I had the ignition replaced about 3 years ago could they have not attached something properly? Also is there a way to fix the VAX where it starts to recognize that I'm not trying to steal my own car I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Try this: https://www.thirdgen.org/tech/vats.shtml
Do the bypass.