Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Wires, wires, wires....test your knowledge!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS, 355, holley 650dp
Engine: flow master headers, 3" exhaust
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
Wires, wires, wires....test your knowledge!!

First some car info, 89RS had no engine, dropped a 350 in, now trying to get all the wiring completed. Can anybody tell just by looking at these and be able to identify them? I'm still looking for my oil pressure indicator wire, I've looked but am unable to find a tan wire?

Thanks,

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Wires, wires, wires....test your knowledge!!-dscf0039.jpg   Wires, wires, wires....test your knowledge!!-dscf0040.jpg   Wires, wires, wires....test your knowledge!!-dscf0042.jpg  
Old 10-20-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally Posted by kenf729
First some car info, 89RS had no engine, dropped a 350 in, now trying to get all the wiring completed. Can anybody tell just by looking at these and be able to identify them? I'm still looking for my oil pressure indicator wire, I've looked but am unable to find a tan wire?

Thanks,

Ken
Hey Ken, I know the feeling hope I can help.

In the pic on the left, the round connector goes to the knock sensor. I'm not sure about the other, a single pin weatherpak connector is very common. Where was it located in the bay?

The other two pics... the colored connectors are to the AIR system and the black connectors are to the AC compressor.

Let me know if you have anymore ?s

Last edited by pmpn; 10-20-2006 at 10:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tidan (01-27-2020)
Old 10-21-2006, 03:14 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I confirm pmpn's response. The other connector in the pic looks like a crumbled up water temp sender (the gauge) connector.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS, 355, holley 650dp
Engine: flow master headers, 3" exhaust
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
pmpn, thank you for the input. the knock sensor - white wire with the round connector isn't needed then? since I didn't install the AC then I guess the other 2 won't matter. the last wire is a dark green one it comes out of the bay about centered, I've already located the water temp, another dark green wire with a T type fitting the connects to the sensor just between 1 and 3.

one thing to note that when the key is on the last wire if touched to ground makes a clicking sound over by the brake res.

thanks again for both of your inputs.
Ken

edit: spelling errors
Old 10-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget there are three of them that people tend to get confused.

water temp sensor (ECM)
water temp sender (gauge)
water temp switch (fan)
Old 10-22-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally Posted by kenf729
pmpn, thank you for the input. the knock sensor - white wire with the round connector isn't needed then? since I didn't install the AC then I guess the other 2 won't matter. the last wire is a dark green one it comes out of the bay about centered, I've already located the water temp, another dark green wire with a T type fitting the connects to the sensor just between 1 and 3.

one thing to note that when the key is on the last wire if touched to ground makes a clicking sound over by the brake res.

thanks again for both of your inputs.
Ken

edit: spelling errors
Jza is correct, I initally thought it was the coolant temp/ fan switch. Without AC or AIR you can pull those wires out. You may need the knock sensor wire depending on the engine type you put in, anything that has computer controlled timing that is... or you will get an SES.

As far as the clicking, I could only guess an arc/ shorted wire. AHH ya made me get the WD's out... OK here is a list of all dark green wires:

Judging by the pics provided *I think-can you verify?* there was a V6 in that RS...

2.8 V6:
DK GRN/ WHITE- Fuel pump relay
DK GRN/ YELLOW- canister purge solenoid valve
DK GRN- A/C Compressor clutch AND High pressure switch

Just curious, are you planning on using the ECM at all? Or just running a carbed 350? If you are gonna use the ECM you will need a new PROM, sensors etc. If not, you could junk 90% of the wires in the bay and just keep the gages and starter/ ignition stuff.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by pmpn; 10-22-2006 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tidan (02-26-2020)